"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, August 15, 2014

Long Run Mom Style

I decided to go out and get my 5-mile run done this morning while my daughter was at cross country practice.  She has practice for 1.5 hours, so I knew even with my slow pace I should be able to finish in time to go pick her up. 

About 35 minutes into my run my phone rings and it's my daughter. 

"Hi Mom, I'm done.  Coach ended practice early today."

What?!

"Okay.  Can you get a ride?  I'm running.  ... No, wait.  I'm almost near the house, so I'll just head to the house and come get you." 

I had originally thought about only doing the scheduled 3 miles today and then heading out for the long run tomorrow morning, but it was a lovely morning and I was in the mood to get that long run in.  I was also tired and just wanted to be able to sleep in and only do 3 miles tomorrow, or even skip it if I felt like it.  

As I headed the quarter mile to my house I decided I guess I'd just call it a day and be done, but as I drove home from picking her up I was like, "No, I need to finish this run." 

There's no real pressing plans tomorrow morning that would prevent me from getting 5 miles in, but I was in the groove this morning and I knew I really needed to finish my run.  

So, I dropped her off, used the restroom and headed back out for two more miles to finish up my run. It was definitely getting warmer out, but I was so glad I got it done.  The rest of my day could go on as planned since I finished what I started first thing this morning.  

This also means I've completed four days of good, solid exercise this week and I'm very happy about that.  

I'm a mom first and a runner second, but today I was reminded that I can make them both work even if it requires moving around little disruptions in the plan.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment