Saturday, December 31, 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Friday, December 23, 2011
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011
Friday, December 16, 2011
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
- I take time in my Bible reading to read parts of the Christmas story and really think about what it must've been like back then when our savior was born.
- I pray for those that may be struggling during this holiday season - either with loss, financial struggles, with a family member away serving in the military, the list goes on.
- I pray and thank God for the blessings he's bestowed upon my life.
- I decide to go for my walk and put Christmas music on my iPod or listen to a Christmas story or Christmas themed Old Radio Show.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Friday, December 9, 2011
- Walking 3 miles at least 4-5 days a week
- Drinking at least 64 oz. of water daily
- Christmas cards are done and going in the mail this weekend
- Most of my shopping is done
- I have party plans that are falling into place
- The bills are paid
- We are all healthy and ...
- I'm even enjoying a nice book with a Christmas theme running through it when I have a few minutes each day.
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
- At a baby shower on Monday night I was going through the food line and a new friend of mine informed the lady handing out the corn tortillas that "Leah only wants one! I know.." I laughed because it's true. I'm always asking for a little scoop of the foods and she's catching on. :)
- My son has been a little concerned with his pudgy belly. So we had a quick chat in the car, just he and I, about how (A) he doesn't need to compare himself with the other 6th grade boys (B) the doctor said he was fine at his physical, so he just needs to keep moving in life (C) this is why mommy limits desserts to one each evening and has mentioned that he can have a serving size of snacks crackers, etc. ...which lead to the next thing...
- A day later my son is looking at a box of graham crackers and says, "Mom, they don't have the serving sizes on this box." I pointed it out to him and he said, okay. Yep, he's learning to read the labels and learning that he can be satisfied with ONE serving and not a mountain of crackers. When his sister asked how many grahams she could have yesterday he says, "Two big ones!" I'm so proud of him!
- Yesterday I walked to a Leslie Sansone Christmas 3-Mile walk album and was reminded that I LOVE walking to a beat!! For the past month or so I've been walking to audiobooks, but there is something about a good brisk music beat that makes me happy. I 'm motivated by music.
- Last night while watching the end of The Biggest Loser I had to think...I can't wait 'til I run like that. There's something so appealing to me about running. So, today I did 5 minute walk/jog intervals. Why put off 'til "I'm skinny" when I can at least attempt it today? It felt good!
Friday, December 2, 2011
- Yes, I over ate at Thanksgiving, but I haven't as much since I've been back.
- I seriously am not sure what's going on with my body this week.
- I'm embarrassed and did not want to post the weight.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Friday, November 25, 2011
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
- My husband for his faithfulness to me in marriage, to provide for our family and for being a part of our children's lives. Even when his job or college left him with little extra time he has always made time to play with the kids or listen to me talk.
- My children who each are turning into their own people. There's my kind-hearted artist girl, my crafty helper-leader girl and a boy with a great imagination. While each day has it's ups and downs there are plenty of good times where these kids bring us great joy.
- My parents and brother (my only sibling) who are still in touch with each other though we are in three different states. It's a blessing to be a part of a family that loves each other and has not let differences break us apart. To God be the glory!
- My sister-in-law, who opened her heart to us from the day she got serious with my brother, and who has been quite the trooper and stood by him through a bout with cancer last year. She's one tough cookie and I know God brought her into our lives for a reason.
- My in-laws on my husband's side. I don't think a blonde, blue-eyed girl was who they imagined their Mexican son/brother marrying some day, but I never would've known it by how they acted. From day one they were polite and caring and have loved me for who I am over these 16 years of marriage. My mother-in-law has also been very willing to teach me to make mexican food and share her tips, instead of harboring them as her own special treats to make when she's visiting.
- I'm so thankful for my salvation. The fact that Jesus would give his life for me, a sinner who is so full of mistakes, amazes me. That He would go even further to bless my life with the above is an added bonus. I don't regret one moment I have lived as a Christian, and will never tire of thanking Him for not giving up on me.
Monday, November 21, 2011
- My cold is going away and I am not having coughing fits any more.
- PMS is over and for another month the hormonal roller coaster has settled back into normalcy. :)
- No one in my family caught my cold.
- My children get up and get ready for school without complaining.
- My husband was willing to sit and talk with me alone for two hours Friday night about life; where we've been, where we're going and he was patient with me when I shared some struggles and thoughts.
Friday, November 18, 2011
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Monday, November 14, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
I'm very pleased with this loss and here's why.
I've had a week that was crazy busy from sun up to sun down. I've literally had about 30 minutes a day to sit and just relax. While this schedule did not allow for any formal exercise it did end up being one of my best eating weeks ever full of all kinds of non-scale victories.
If you look at my Daily Mile widget you'll see my last workout was a week ago and this is true. My busy week started with laundry and house cleaning on Saturday to prepare for company coming for a week long stay on Monday.
Then this past week was a Bible Conference at our church wherein I helped in the kitchen preparing, serving and cleaning up refreshments for a break in the morning seminars. After that I would go home pick up the house, shower, get kids from school, iron clothes for evening services, direct the flow of showers and getting ready for those services and then we'd be out the door for evening services.
Somewhere in between that I made time to work on two poster projects for our church, have lunch with my husband one day and our guests another and check my emails. :)
It was crazy.
At the same time it was the kind of crazy that only happens a few times a year and is wonderful to be a part of. Especially when I've had successes, otherwise known as non-scale victories, in my eating like this:
- Our refreshments for the break were juice, coffee, fruit and donuts. I only had 1/2 a donut on the last morning. I took my 32 oz. water bottle and drank that every morning and brought my own snacks consisting of fruit and cheese sticks or a yogurt.
- When I went to Olive Garden for lunch one day I did not eat any breadsticks - for the 1st time in my life!!! I only had two servings of salad and one bowl of pasta fagioli soup.
When my friends ordered seconds of soup I kind of wanted to, but realized it was only for one of two reasons (1) peer pressure "they are, so why not" and (2) "I don't want to make them feel bad. They are larger than me and might feel bad for eating more when I'm not." The latter thought was due to one of them confiding in me she is working on losing weight. But then I realized this is about MY journey and I needed to do what was best for me. I was satisfied and needed to stop. And I did. (HUGE victory for me!!!)
- I went to lunch with my husband some delicious meditteranean food and again only ate until satisfied.
In fact, this whole week I can honestly say that I ate only until satisfied every. single. day. I actually had to eat dinner at 9:30 the night before my weigh-in, so I know the scale was up a little due to that, because I have hovered between 180 - 181 all week.
Oh, I also have to add that I was able to wear a blouse this week that hasn't fit me since I bought it a year ago, and an Indian outfit I wore a year-and-a-half ago has gotten big on me and I was able to pinch the sides in an inch on either side of the top to show a friend how loose it was.
When I showed my friend that she replied, "I've been meaning to tell you that whatever you are doing is working...you're losing weight and I can tell!!"
So, while my weigh-in shows only a pound loss for the last two weeks I have to say the victories in my life with regards to weight and eating have been worth much, much more than that.
It's why I'm proud to say for the record...
5 pounds down
15 to go
Have a great weekend and I will check back in next week!
Friday, November 11, 2011
Monday, November 7, 2011
Friday, November 4, 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Monday, October 31, 2011
So, Saturday night I was at a church function in some jeans, a "stylish" t-shirt and cute cardigan from Target with some decorative trim. Towards the end of the evening a girl started gushing about how good I was looking. She was so sweet and asked if I've lost weight since I moved here.
Friday, October 28, 2011
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Friday, October 21, 2011
Thursday, October 20, 2011
- Make felt ornament crafts - usually around the holidays. I made this pumpkin one for a friend of mine that does not live in the south. I've seen that phrase and thought it'd be a cute "touch of the south" gift for her. All done by hand.
- Try new recipes. Like Lori's pumpkin custard oats, which were delicious..though I had to add more splenda to sweeten it up for me.
- Create digital scrapped creations like this cutie owl card I made today for fun...and because I have recently purchased two adorable owls for my house and was in the mood to be creative.
- Oh, and shop, of course, especially when I have gift cards from my birthday (in July) like the one I was able to use today at Pier 1 to buy this adorable little owl. We've named her "Miss Picket" since her apron (I'm also in love with aprons) looks a little like a picket fence
Monday, October 17, 2011
Saturday, October 15, 2011
On Feb. 1, 2011 I was announced as "Cancer Free!" I give God all the praise and glory for I know His hand guided us all through this trial of life.
Don't be afraid of cancer. Trust in Jesus and He will be there for you. In the end, we win!
Kathy Garfield, October 8, 2011
Friday, October 14, 2011
Thursday, October 13, 2011
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Monday, October 10, 2011
- Rarely felt hungry all weekend, after I started with salad and pizza for lunch on Saturday.
- Didn't track food at all. Naughty. Naughty.
- And finally this morning I wasn't even hungry for breakfast.
Friday, October 7, 2011
Thursday, October 6, 2011
- I was asleep by 10:15 pm, which lead to a good nights rest.
- I did not eat an extra 1,000 calories as I could have.
- I still did a 30 minute workout on the arc though I was sore and vexed (is that where "sorely vexed" comes from ??)