"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, December 7, 2015

My Truth

Thank you for the well wishes.  I'm not 100% yet, but I'm sure feeling better today.  Now on to something I've been thinking about for a while. 

In recent months I've heard two instances where people were confronted with weight issues and they took offense.  One is obviously overweight, was confronted by a doctor and felt crushed when the pouring out of the heart was met with [paraphrasing] "Let's take care of your weight first."

The other has recently lost some weight while making strides to eat healthier and exercise regularly, so when the pastor of the church comments [again paraphrasing] "people are overweight because they eat too much" the person vented to me about it.  

I sympathize with the patient for the hurt feelings.  I do not know the doctor, nor the delivery in which this help was offered, except as shared by the patient.   I know there has been a struggle with weight for a long while now, so the fact that the emotional stress was linked directly and solely to weight just felt like a slap in the face.

As for the pastor's comment, I do know this particular pastor personally and he is very thin and has never had a weight issue, nor has he lived around any immediate family with one.  Over the years I've learned to take was is true in what he says and let the opinions go.  

What was interesting to me after both situations was how we don't like to hear the truth.  

Because whether we like it or not...most obese people are that way because they eat too much and exercise too little.  I have known a few people who were doing everything in their power to be healthy and had hormone related reasons why their weight was very high, but most people are overweight because they consume more calories than they burn.

Now add to the overeating hormones, aging and genetics and being healthy can seem very difficult.

I know this, because it's my truth as well.  

My genetics will not ever allow me to be skinny naturally, but I do have the capability to be thinner and healthier when I watch what and how much I eat and get regular exercise.  

In fact, a recent anonymous commented pointed out what a failure I currently am and all I could say was, "Yep!  You're right.  I'm probably not going to lose 10 pounds by December 31st now."

When I alluded to this comment on my Instagram many instantly came to my defense.  While I appreciate their concern, the truth is still that I need to change.  Not because I'm a horrible person and being 192 pounds makes me ugly or not worth being around, but because my health is important.  

In fact, our pastor recently mentioned something to this effect, "people don't change because they aren't desperate enough."  

There's that truth again.  

Some would say but they are so desperate, but I knew for me I hadn't truly been desperate enough to work on getting healthier again.  I was desperate to not be heavy and to fit into my clothes better, but not desperate enough to change what I was doing  

So, I prayed and I repented.  Honestly, facing the truth and acknowledging what needs to change is so freeing.  

Then I got sick and couldn't post and could barely eat...yada...yada.  

But I'm here now.  Still recuperating, but inspired.  Because this past almost two years has thrown me for an emotional loop and I know I allowed myself to get lazy because it all seemed too much to handle.  

I also know this is all part of life and I'm okay with that.  But instead of getting upset when truth hits I'm choosing to see it for what it is -- truth, that if embraced, can bring about good change.  

I've been there before, in a happy healthier place,  and I know I want to be there again.  It's not easy, but it will be worth it.  

Oh, and when I found this quote this morning I knew it was perfect, because facing the truth and changing doesn't mean I'm "bad" it simply means I have areas that need improving.  

1 comment:

  1. You took that comment much better than I would have, truth or not. Especially from somebody who hides their identity. Sheesh.

    I think along with the needing to be desperate enough, one also needs a sense of urgency ... that it needs to be done now. I would say the sense of urgency has been more of a problem for me ...

    Hope you feel completely well soon!

    ReplyDelete