"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, August 23, 2013

Weigh-In ... The Best 10 Miles

Today's Weight:  163.5
Loss/Gain:  +4.5 lbs

First off, this is actually Thursday's weight, because I knew after some carb loading the scale would be even higher and I couldn't bring myself to add more weight to that because of needing to carb load.  

Here is the data that supports the reason for a gain, or lack of loss. 
I had a nice dinner date with my son Saturday, a dinner party one night and then a teen party another night that concluded with a sleepover and I did not eat well for weight loss at any of these events.  There were many late nights and it was just a rough week. 

It was hard for me to get back on track, but after my epic food fail last night I got up and headed out for my run this morning and I already feel so much better and am back on plan.  TOM was here last Friday, but I don't usually gain while on it.  Gains are usually a PMS thing for me.  Anyway, oh well.  It happened and I know I will lose a lot of it this week. 

On the good news front...

Short Story:
I had THE BEST 10 mile run today and think I may have broken that training wall down by making a few simple changes to how I prepared both physically and mentally.  

Long Story: 
Yesterday I chose to carb load a bit, even though I knew the scale would go up and that helped so much.  The overeating was not helpful as my tummy was a tad upset for the first half of the run, but I know the extra carbs I ate yesterday made a huge difference.  I ended up sleeping later than I planned and so I did not get out when it was cooler.  I was dreading the warm temperatures, but decided to just go out and enjoy my run.  

And I did.  I began getting a little frustrated with my slower pace, but I told myself I had to be slow to endure until the end.  I just didn't allow myself to slow down to a 13:00 minute mile pace.  I hovered around 12:15-12:50 and made myself be okay with that.  When I wasn't concerned about the pace I really enjoyed my run.

I also started hydrating early on in my run.  I took sips of my Nuun infused water about every mile from mile two on.  I knew the carb loading had helped because I didn't need to take in fuel (I use GU gels) until just before miles 4 and 8, like I originally planned. 

There was a slight breeze, but it was pretty much a full sun, humid morning with shade to cool off in off and on.  And you know what?  I was fine.  There was no overheating, no feeling like I'm gonna die and I just enjoyed myself.  The best part was when I hit ten miles I knew I could've kept going for 3.1 more.

Apart from severe overeating last night What I did yesterday worked for me and now I think I have a good plan to get through the half marathon and enjoy myself.  Next weekend is my last double-digit run before the race and I am not dreading it anymore.  Glory!

The scale is up, but this wonderful run today makes everything okay.  As always, it's not over folks.  I'm still learning and I'm still pressing on.  :)

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment