"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, December 23, 2013

A Week in Maryland

Last week I had the opportunity to accompany my husband to his annual training at the Naval station in Bethesda, Maryland.  
Some of the highlights from my week were ... 

  • Sleeping in for me!!!
  • French press coffee in bed
  • Nice trails around the Navy Lodge, where we stayed, so I could go for a run.
  • A gym on base only a mile away from the Lodge, so I could walk there and workout in the gym.
  • Taking the Metro into DC and then lots of walking
  • Trying a few new restaurants
  • Joining my husband in the challenge to walk up the longest escalator I've ever seen.  Wowsa.

and a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me....

  • We went to see Handel's Messiah at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.  Words can't begin to describe how amazing the  4 soloists, the 170-voice choir and 96-piece orchestra sounded.  


This was the first time my husband and I have gone away for a week, and it was a nice treat.  The military paid for his gas, lodging and meals, so it only cost us my meals and shopping.  

I know for a fact the scale was up a smidge, even though I split that humongous dessert between two days and worked out three days, plus lots of walking.  But I also know I looked forward to every bit of walking I did and my husband said he was amazed that I climbed that escalator without stopping.  We did it three times total and every time I was out of breath, but joyously giggling at the top, because I made it.  He also smiled big. 

Going away for a week just before Christmas made me a little nervous at first, but it was good for us to get away and spend some time alone since he was gone for so many months on deployment.  We were able to have some good talks about life, our future and even where we want to go as a couple with our health.  

I look forward to sharing more on that latter subject later.  In the meantime, now you know where I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment