"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Post Op Days 2 & 3


First off, thank you for the condolences regarding my mom's death.  I'm told she appeared to pass quietly in her sleep and for that I am so grateful.  I also know for a fact that she had given her life to Jesus at a young age and I know we'll see her in heaven again someday.  There are lots of things to plan, but for now my job is to heal from surgery.

Yesterday was my two-day follow up and the doctor said everything looks great. With my abdomen covered in stitches from the outside of one hip to the other and a vertical incision up the middle of my abdomen I find it hard to think it looks great, so I told him I would take his word for it. :)

I was given instructions on wound care and to go ahead and take breaks from wearing the binder garment. One of the nurses said I didn't need to wear underwear or a bra either, but ... Uh... That's not gonna happen.  I had put on a regular bra, but did decide my sport bra was much more comfortable.

The told me I can shower now, but that makes me nervous.  My husband said we'll keep doing sponge baths for a little bit longer.  I bought "dry shampoo" and used that, but it made my hair feel disgusting. I think it's better when used on people with oily hair, and I am not one of those.

The doctor told me to stay a little hunched over, but not too much.  I think I was walking too hunched overl.

Today has been pretty good.  I did not take a pain pill this afternoon and I think I'm doing okay without it. I did have a couple questions for the nurse to clarify some things I was told yesterday, so I called her. She was sweet and answered everything.

My doctor also said my drains should come out next Wednesdaay or Thursday and I can travel to be with my dad if needed.  My dad has said they will wait to do my moms memorial service until I can get there, so we will see what dates we decide on. My heart is to be there as soon as possible, but my body wants to heal and be in better condition to travel.  My husband will be going with me, so we will see when that is to be.

In the meantime, the nurse told me to take regular little walks, pushing myself a little beyond comfortable to start standing up straighter more often. I still have my stack of books, audiobooks and have been enjoying Pride and Prejudice with my daughters today ... Between texts and phone calls.


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, Leah, and I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so relieved that you aren't having to compromise your recovery to help your dad plan a service or anything else like that. I really fretted over that for you. I KNOW you want to be there for him, and not that there is ever a good time to lose our mother's, but this timing couldn't have been much worse, could it have? I am relieved to hear that she went peacefully. As much as we would've liked an opportunity to say goodbye, still, thinking of them, we wouldn't want them to suffer, either. You remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete