"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, January 10, 2014

January Sugar-less Challenge

So, my husband has been wanting to get rid of a little extra belly fat.  We had some talks about this and that with regards to diet and exercise and one thing I mentioned is it might help him just to cut out his sugary drinks that he loves, namely soda, lemonade and Kool-Aid.  He exercises regularly and eats fairly healthy.  I'm the more sweets girl, but he's definitely the sweet drinks guy.  My son has also wanted to trim up and get healthier.  My son is in the early teen, pudgy stage, but he has an appetite for sweets AND sugary drinks.  

They came up with this idea in December to not have any sodas or sweets for the month of January to  detox from the sugars.  I reminded my husband when I did this a few years ago he told me after it was over it was the dumbest idea I ever had.  *giggle* 

I suggested trying to cut cut out the sweets for 6 days a week, allowing one "treat" day for sweets and/or sodas and sugary drinks.  If they chose to do the "one cheat day" plan I said I'd join them.  My husband liked this idea and we agreed that it would be an easier idea to maybe even stick to beyond the month and make it a habit. 

The rules are:

  • Sweets are only allowed one day a week
  • Sugary drinks only allowed one day a week for the boys
  • Any soda only allowed one day a week for me (I've been downing too much diet soda lately and not enough water)
  • Milk, juice or water at mealtimes.  (Trust me, I wanted to cut out the juice...but I'm not winning that battle.)

We started the challenge this past Monday, when the kids went back to school, and it's going well so far.  Last night was the first night my husband had any juice and I told him I'm so proud of him for drinking so much water.  Woot!  My son has done well also, though my husband did reassure him he didn't have to do this with us if he wanted to have a sweet treat (after I asked if he could have a small hot chocolate when I was ordering coffee on our freezing cold afternoon earlier this week..)  My son had the hot chocolate, but that's the only dessert he's had so far this week.  

I have found myself eating some crackers with milk at night a couple of nights and I think it's the "carb craving", but I've been tracking all my food again and making room.  Just the fact that I'm not having as much sweet junk as I was eating in late December is a good thing.  

I'll keep you posted on how things are going periodically and at the end of the month we'll see if there's any weight loss for my husband from his cutting down the sugary drinks (and not drinking so many extra calories...oh..the conversations we've been having.  lol  *grin*)

1 comment:

  1. I like your two tips!! "Sweets are only allowed one day a week, Sugary drinks only allowed one day a week for the boys" . Sugar and sweetness are our weakness but these two are the main reason of the fat.
    Regards,
    Goji Berry Juice

    ReplyDelete