"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, November 13, 2015

Healthy Holidays Challenge Update #7

This has been the week that arrives monthly where everything goes up.  The cravings for sweets, the scale and the food.  So, unfortunately I wasn't really thrilled with, oh, pretty much anything.  I just told myself to wait it out and things would start feeling normal again.  

Today things are feeling back to normal, so that is good.    

Here's my update: 

  1. I will exercise at least 30 minutes at least 4 times a week.  This will be done.  I have enjoyed two runs so far this week and look forward to my third tomorrow.  I'm doing strength today.  I'm pretty slow out there running, but I love that I'm shooting for time goals right now and not distance.  It's been nice.  
  2. I will eat "weight-loss" portions and healthier options, tracking my food on My Fitness Pal, so I will see a loss of at least 10 pounds.  Fail.  During my monthly this is rarely a successful week with food and the scale going down.  I don't want to post my weight because it jumped quite high early in the week, but as I ponder it I think I will so you can see how crazy my body is behaving.  I jumped to 194.5 over the weekend and am back down to 192 today.  So, either the scale being lower a couple days last week was a fluke or this month my PMS wreaked havoc on my body.  I actually felt bloated for days and that is rare for me.  However, I know I wasn't eating healthier options, so I wasn't surprised it was up... just surprised by how much.  Anyway, I'm embarrassed and frustrated to have to share that, but now you know.  I'm back to 0/10 lost for this challenge.  Sigh. 
  3. I will drink at least 32 oz. of pure water a day.  This has actually gone pretty good. Yesterday was the only day I didn't drink any water at all;  I was very busy all day morning 'til night.  
  4. I will bake and enjoy holiday treats within reason, making sure to track what I eat no matter how high the calorie count.  I didn't bake, though sweets were eaten plenty of times, and only tracked maybe 50% of the week.  I did track a couple of higher days and it explained why my scale doesn't go down.  That is the point, so I really need to stick to this goal of tracking again.  It's a helpful tool for me. 
  5. I will strive for a balance between challenging myself to stick to a healthier plan and allowing myself to mess up.  I'm temped to put a fail here, because I was very upset a few days over this weight I've gained.  The monthly hormonal fog always magnifies the depressing things.  However, I know what needs fixing and I reminded myself this week is always bad and to simply push through it.  So, it's not a total fail...I allowed myself to mess up and didn't beat myself up to badly.  :)    
All in all it was an okay week.  It was normal for my monthly (with the exception of the scale jumping so high), so I'm okay with that (..now that it's over and my monthly emotional fog has lifted).  It's life and life happens.  

Quite honestly, I have days I don't think I'm going to hit that goal of losing 10 pounds by the end of the year, but I won't let myself quit this challenge and put off losing weight until the New Year ... I'd probably end up gaining another 10 over Christmas if I did that.  

So, I'm here.  I'm not quitting and I'm looking for better things this week.  

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you all have a nice weekend!

6 comments:

  1. You still have six whole weeks before Christmas, so plenty of time to hit your goal weight. Consistency is really the key (as I keep reminding myself!). I want to finish the year strong, so am challenging myself to stay 100% on plan for the next six weeks. I know if I can just get these first three days done, I'll be in a much better place to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay positive and stay focused and you will hit the 10 pounds! We still have plenty of time left!😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not going to lose 10 lbs in six weeks.

      Delete
    2. Lori, I appreciate your faith in me. I know it is possible to lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks, even though I will admit to not finding it realistic for this time of year.

      Delete
  3. I will never comprehend why people find it so easy to accept -- to even EXPECT and "allow in advance" -- that they can't possibly stick to a new eating/exercise plan. We don't give ourselves this leeway with other life goals, work goals, financial obligations, etc...we don't tell our kids that getting good grades is hard and takes a lot of work and means you might have to forego a social event or sleeping in so therefore let's just accept in advance that you won't be doing all that work so you're going to get some Cs and Ds....but when it comes to this basic health goal, we fully believe we "can't" do it right 100% -- or even 80% -- of the time so why even try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great point. Trying to lose weight and gain control of my health has opened my eyes to what an addiction is like. Not sticking to my "plan" is a lack of discipline and I know it.

      I also know I'm fighting age and I've inherited a slower metabolism, but while it may mean I won't be 135 pounds with "starving" or working out for hours, that can't stop me from at least living at 160 pounds where I maintained for over a year.

      Thanks for your comment. I only wish you hadn't posted anonymously so I could see what success you've had with your health.

      Delete