"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, May 13, 2016

Inspiring My Children

Earlier this week my daughter posted this to her Instagram account after our BodyPump class on Monday night: 
You know, when I started my weight loss journey it wasn't for my kids or my family, as many claim are the reasons for their desire to change, neither was it to set an example for any of them.  I simply knew I needed to take care of myself for my own better health. 

However, when my daughter posted this I was very proud.  

With my oldest children graduating high school and moving on into adult life I find myself thinking a lot lately about whether or not we've taught them everything they need to know to succeed. 

Unfortunately, for many years teaching them to eat healthy and stay active never crossed my mind.  They were active on their own, so I think I figured they'd be fine.  (My husband never had weight issues and I was always grateful they took after his side of the family.)

However, in recent years, my healthiness journey has given me the desire to make sure they know "how to take care of your health should you ever not be able to eat whatever you want and stay thin as you do now".  

In my journey I've failed, I've done well and no matter what I keep plugging along.  As my children grow up they humor me when I share a tidbit I've learned about better health and they [seem to] listen when I share how a healthy balance of good eating and exercise is important.  

If nothing else, I've shown them in my actions change is possible.  And while I still continue on this journey primarily for myself,  I'm happy to see my changes are making an impact on my children's lives as well.

Note:  As I finished this up I realized this would've been a great Mother's Day post... lol  Well, there you go.. I snuck it in just before the week after Mother's Day is finished.  :D

1 comment:

  1. Leah, that's great! Congrats on being such a great influence!

    ReplyDelete