"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

4 Weeks Post Op

Yesterday was four days since my abdominoplasty.  Last Friday was my follow up appointment with the doctor and he said ... 

  • The incision is healing nicely.
  • I don't sound like I have any abnormal swelling.
  • I am released to do cardio exercise such as walking, light jogging, elliptical, moderate swimming and the recumbent bikes.  
  • I can do light upper body weights. 
  • NO core exercises or anything that requires core stabilization ( i.e.  squats, overhead weight lifts) for two more months. 
  • Swelling after a busy day or hard workout will be normal for the next year, so I don't have to worry.
  • He advised taking NSAIDS (Alleve, Ibuprofin, Motrin) for five days whether or not I think I need it to help with the swelling I do have; and suggested doing this when I feel like I'm beginning to swell more than a day or two in a row.  
  • I can sleep without pillows under my knees if I'm comfortable.  He said it may hurt to lie more flat, but I will not injure any of the work done.  
My next appointment with him is in two months. 

I thought everything looked like it was healing nicely, so it was good to hear him say it was.  The swelling I do experience is always worse by the end of the day but goes down nicely after a good nights rest, so I was especially glad to hear that was normal and that I do not require any draining. 

I only had a few stitches that did not absorb and they were trimmed up nicely when needed.  He reminded me that my stitches that tightened up my abdominal muscles are still healing, so it's very normal I have pain with coughing, laughing, crying or sneezing.  He said that is also why I am not to do any core work.  "We don't want you to bust any of those stitches."  Um, no we don't.  I asked him if he would please write down "NO BURPEES ALLOWED" for me .... *giggle*  Those are definitely not allowed right now.  (Yes, I'm doing a little happy dance about that.)

He asked if I had any other concerns and I said I was only looking forward to when I don't have constant aching and/or pain in my abdomen.  I know it's mostly from stretching back out, but it can be a vex.  Or, like when I'm turning over in bed and I'm reminded that I am still healing.  Yikes.   He reassured me I'm still in the very early stages of healing and to just take it easy. 

My husband and family have still be awesome in helping me do just that.  Today is the first day in four weeks that I cooked some dinner.  Yesterday my husband went with me for a walk and it was nice to have his company.  I am still walking slow, making sure I have proper upright posture, but it feels good to be moving again.  

Slowly but surely I'm healing and I'm very grateful everything is going well concerning my surgery.  


2 comments: