"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Reminder: Don't Quit

This past Sunday a visiting minister spoke about not allowing past failures to stop you from pressing forward in your life.  He made a point that failures are necessary in life and we need to learn from them and not allow them to derail us from ever trying to succeed.  

My thoughts wandered to my weight loss journey and afterwards my husband agreed that the past five years of my life have been a perfect example of succeeding despite prior failed attempts at weight loss.  

When I started on my "umpteenth" attempt at weight loss in May 2009 I was so scared of failing I didn't even tell more than two people I was trying to lose weight again.  Out of sheer desperation I took a couple baby steps towards eating less and moving more and in four years I lost approximately 65 pounds.  I managed to keep that off and even lose another five pounds last year.

As I am healing from my abdominoplasty I'm reminded that I need to keep pressing on in my weight loss/healthiness journey.  The first couple weeks postop I saw a drop on the scale, but now that number has crept back up.  There's a familiar feeling of "oh geez...can't I get it together??" that threatens to depress me, but then I remember I will bounce back.  I have done this before and I refuse to ever go back to being overweight.

My journey has always been more of a slow-and-steady-wins-the-race type of journey.  No quick fixes or extreme weight loss tactics here.  I simply get back to what I know is best for me and I'm able to keep my weight in check.

I try to learn from my failures, or shortcomings, and keep going.  

The minister finished his sermon by sharing this poem.  I'd heard it before and I thought it was a great reminder, so I want to share it with you. 


Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and its turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When they might have won, had they stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than, 
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit!

 - Author Unknown

Thanks for stoping by!  If you're doing great - Awesome! *high five*  If you're finding yourself in need of some healthy encouragement to stay on track - I'm with you.  *hugs*

2 comments:

  1. excellent post, sweetie! I'm sure when you can be a little more active, you'll drop those few pounds you have gained. No worries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. As someone who has lost and regained too many times to count, this is a very good message to remember.

    ReplyDelete