"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

One Month Post Op & Two Confessions

It has been (just over)one month since my abdominoplasty and I'm pleased to say everything is healing just as it should.  In fact, I have begun some regular exercise.  For now I am mostly walking, but I have gotten two small runs in as well.  

The first walks I had to concentrate on making sure I was walking with with good posture.  My first run was 1 mile and it went very slowly.  I finished it in 14 minutes 26 seconds, which is very humbling.  However, I didn't "kill" myself doing it and walked another mile and a half afterwards.  

Today I ran two miles straight on the treadmill and finished in 25 minutes.  That is a much better "slow" time for me.  I started and finished with 5-minute walks, so I could work my way up and down from my run.  This time made me push it a little, but I really kept concentrating on just completing two miles.  

I have to admit that my eating has been off for a while.  I've not been the good example when it comes to my diet lately.  It's another post for another day, but I seriously thinking regular exercise has been key in helping me to stay focused on my eating being better.  I've heard it many times, but it's strange to watch it actually happen.  

I also have to admit that I've been vexed with how large my thighs seem to look.  People have asked me if having the skin removed from my abdomen has made me drop clothing sizes and it has not.  I carried/carry a lot of my weight in my stomach, hips, thighs and buttocks, so losing my stomach has only made that part of my clothing fit better.  

However ... having seen how toned running made me last summer I now know what it is like to experience loss of muscle tone, and subsequent spreading of the thighs, when one lays off of regular exercise.  Again, another post for another time, but this has been a first for me.  I've not yet experienced a situation in my weight loss journey where I lost fitness or muscle tone to the extent I could feel it in my clothing.  Until now.  I now have one or two things that are snug in my thighs in ways I know gaining five pounds shouldn't cause (I mean I can kind of hope those five are spread between my thighs...maybe??).  

Worrying about my thighs sounds very vain and I'm sorry.  One thing I'm really trying not to be with all this change in my body is become a vain or superficial woman.  It's just the facts and I've noticed it.  I think my crappy eating is affecting my outlook on things at times.  

My hope in all of this is that I knew having this surgery would set me back a little and I know that things will get better as I'm able to do more.  After my two-mile run today did not kill my lungs or heart or legs I was encouraged that I have not lost all my fitness.  And every time I look in the mirror and see my flatter tummy I smile.  I worked hard to lose the weight and I will continue to work hard to maintain a healthier me. 

This journey has and always will be about pressing forward in my new ending in life.  So, I will continue to do just that.  

Thanks for stopping by!  

2 comments:

  1. Looking good girl!

    I worry about my thighs too :) I get frustrated that I have to wear "W" pants - I worry that when I get to goal (and on the way there) that I won't be able to wear regular # pants. I definitely have seen a change in my thighs over the winter, but have been happy that with the small amount of running I have done in the last several weeks that they are starting to firm up.
    I also wonder what will happen with my abdomen when I enter the second 1/2 of my weight loss journey. I have some sagging/puckering under my belly button, so I have no way of knowing how much it will change with another 40 lb gones. I guess only time will tell!

    Glad you are getting some small runs in - do you have any running goals for the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be seeing your thighs differently as well because you had surgery. They may not have changed at all, but the relationship to your new middle could make it seem that way.

    Glad you are back to running again!

    ReplyDelete