"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Glad I Took This Break

Throughout the course of my trip I had various subjects I'd like to blog about, but to start out I just want to mention something I almost added into my post from yesterday....

Short Story:
I've been home a week now and I haven't exercised a lot yet.  And in all honesty I'm okay with that.  

Long Story:
There are moments I look at pictures from this time last year, or last fall and I see how much thinner I looked and I know it's not just the ten pounds I've put on, but it's also from the trimming up that occurred from training for a half marathon race.  I didn't even realize it was happening until about the end of August when people kept complimenting me on losing more weight and I knew the scale wasn't moving so it had to be all the running I was doing toning up my muscles.  

This can make me a tad sad, because despite having excess skin removed from my abdomen I don't fit in some of my clothes like I did then.  However, then I remember that I really don't have the desire right now to get up early every morning and run.  And I'm SO GLAD when I returned from our trip I didn't have to jump back into a training plan.  

Last year I was up for the challenge during the summer, but not this year.  This year so much happened from January to May, on top of things I'd already planned to do/be a part of, that I needed a break.  

And my summer is turning out to be a perfect break.  

In fact, yesterday I missed my HIIT class waiting for a garage door repairman who never showed up so I told myself to just go for a walk because it was getting later [read: warmer] in the morning.  I began walking briskly and before I knew it I decided to jog.  

I only made myself jog for maybe 1.5 miles and I didn't worry about pace.  It was awesome and I felt so good!  

When I decided not to run the 13.1 race in September this year I did say I would run a 10K in October and I know now that I will still do that.  It's been six months since my mom died, since I had surgery and my son is well on his way to complete healing from his skiing accident finally so I feel energized and ready to begin training in a few weeks.  

It's a good feeling, but I guess more than anything I wanted to share this because this is real life.  This is what my new ending is all about -- making my new healthier life work around what happens and not beating myself up if I'm not as "diligent" as some when life throws a curve ball.  

I have plans to exercise tomorrow and I will get it done.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying summer break with my family and knowing that if I need to take a break it will not completely derail me from being a healthy, happier me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home! You'll get back into a routine once the kids go back to school, but it isn't like you are completely blowing it. No weight gain on a 3 week vacation = awesome!!

    I am still very torn about this whole training for a 1/2 marathon thing! I want to do it just to say I've done it, but I don't want it to derail my weight loss. I do like the loss of inches and I do already worry about what will happen when I stop training. I already think about what my "maintenance" should look like - I will still want to do Long Runs on Sundays, but how long - 5 miles?!I was so mad at myself for blowing off a run yesterday morning and I worry about the other weekdays to come as the summer ends and the days get shorter. I do like adding up the miles. but I know I need to start doing something with those weekday miles - like intervals or more hills.

    ReplyDelete