"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Broken Bone and Slow Running

No, I did not break a bone.  But my son did.  In a skiing accident last Thursday evening.  *sigh*  He is fine, suffering a break to his femur and damage to his tibia growth plate under the knee.  The femur has been repaired with a rod and screws and the knee is being stabilized in a full leg cast to try and allow it to heal without being jostled.  Thirteen-year-old boys do jostle quite easily. 

I planned on blogging Friday, but we spent Thursday night driving over six hours to get to the hospital they had taken him to from the youth group ski trip he was on.  It was a busy, sleepless weekend, but we returned home Sunday evening and have since been getting back to some semblance of normal. 

*sigh*

So far, my goal to use the word "plan" for 2014 is causing all kinds of things to go against my plans.  I told my husband I had finally had a normal week of doing all the laundry by myself and cooking and cleaning and now another emergency.  *rolling eyes*  

Don't they say, "The best laid plans of mice and men..." As one nurse said, hopefully the "things come in threes" rule will apply and we can relax now.  I've had surgery, my mom died and my son broke his leg.  Our three for 2014 are done this year.  *smile* (Except my surgery was self-induced, so I'm wondering if it really counts.... hhmm...)

Anyway, my husband took this week off of work to help out around here.  He has lots of time to take off and figured then he can be around to allow me to run errands or such since my son can't travel quite easily until they take this monster cast off.  (Hopefully two weeks)

I took advantage of my husband being home to go for a run in some lovely spring-like weather.  It was so nice, but hard all at the same time. 

Before leaving I told my husband I was going to run 3 miles, but I wasn't worried about speed so I may be later than he'd think.  I told him I'm still planning on doing the 10K in May, but I'm only going for completing it versus making any kind of time goal. 

Yea, then I started running and felt so slow.  It's funny how we can tell ourselves we don't care about the speed, etc., but when it comes down to it we really do care.  At least that's how I felt.  I am running about 12:30/13:00 miles right now and it can be slightly frustrating when I was finally picking up speed for shorter runs after training for my half marathon last summer.

However, I realized that I have to give myself credit because I. have. not. stopped. trying.   I may feel a bit "fatter" because I'm not as toned as I was when running so much last year, but I am still trying to eat better and I am slowly getting back into regular exercise. 

My last regular running was last fall; four months ago.  Combine that with having surgery seven weeks ago and it's no wonder I am a slower runner right now.  

And it's okay. 

I put my shoes on and I went out and ran.  I haven't given up.  In moments like these I have to remind myself of one thing I keep telling my son lately, "It takes patience to recover, but it will get better.".   :)  

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you Leah! and Sorry to hear about A. Been praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One good thing about broken bones in children is that they heal and remodel the bone super fast! Hope it goes smoothly for him.

    ReplyDelete