"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, May 23, 2011

Two Years in Review

Two years ago I started my weight loss journey. I was 231 pounds and thought I was going to be happy with being a nice, fat lady. Deep inside I wasn't really happy and when I began having pains in my knees, hiding for photos, wanting to cry when shopping for my brother's wedding I knew I had to do something.


I didn't know what I would do, and I was terrified to try losing weight again, but I just decided to start. I pulled out a few walking DVDs and decided to cut back in food portions. My goal was simply to lose enough weight to buy something out of the regular sizes for my husbands graduation in 2011.

Little by little my food choices began changing. I found myself trying new foods and beginning to enjoy eating healthier. Some things I haven't liked, but some things (like raspberries below) have become foods I now love.


I've made exercise a regular part of my life, even giving running a try. In January 2010 I started the Couch to 5K program and in April 2010 I ran my first 5K. It was a very slow run, but I didn't walk any of it and I was so proud!!


Over time I've seen my desires towards food changing to where I even chose a salad and water at a fair instead of a deep fried something or other. While I still struggle greatly with overeating, what is a "binge" now is nothing compared to what I would eat in the past.


And while it's a slow journey, it's definitely a journey that is leading to the promise I put at the top of my blog. Every good choice I make, every bit of exercise I fit in and every lesson I learn lead to my new ending. As my motivational quote says, "though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." (Anonymous)

So, here at two years I feel like I'm halfway to my goal. I'm in a very stressful time of my life right now (as I write MIL is frying potatoes and eggs for breakfast for hubby and making tortillas...on top of all the stress. LOL) , but I know that I will keep going.

Things will settle down sometime in July and I'll be able to really get back to work on things. In the meantime, I will work at not letting go of the good things I've gained while losing weight these past two years.

2 comments:

  1. I could relate to so many things you said in this post. The quote at the bottom is one that my mother in law had on a little rock in her spare bedroom and for some reason it always spoke to me!

    We can only do our best each day and sometimes our best is better on some days than others.

    I am hosting a Small Change Challenge to kick off summer!

    Check it out and see if it is something you would like to join!

    http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/05/small-change-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You're doing awesome! I'm so proud of you, I know this is not an easy thing, but the blessing of it is you benefit the most!

    ReplyDelete