"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, March 19, 2012

How Full Can You Get?

Yesterday morning our assistant pastor gave a great analogy that I want to share with you today. He used fountain drinks in the analogy, but work with me here. The point of the story that really hit me to the core as a Christian, and also in my weight loss journey.

"You know how you go to a restaurant or fast food joint and when you order a large soda you realize that you get very little beverage due to the high amount of ice in the cup? Oh, so vexing!

So, you learn real quick that if you want more soda to drink you need to ask for "little ice" or "no ice".
Well, that's like our lives. The ice being the "junk" in our lives and the soda being God. We want God to fill us up, become more a part of who we are, but He is only able to fill you so much. Until you rid out the "junk" - hangups, habits, attitudes - he is only able to fill in the free space. As you remove the ice/junk, then He is able to fill in more and more of your life."

This was a lightbulb moment for me as a Christian. It's like to some extent I can limit what God is able to do in my life. It's not his fault, but my own "junk" that prevents Him from doing more.

It also made me think about my healthiness journey.

I have lost just over 50 pounds. I have kept it off for a year now. I have allowed certain changes into my life that made room for weight loss, a level of maintenance and an active lifestyle.

If I want to see my healthy goal weight of 140 I am going to have to rid myself of the rest of the "junk" that is filling up my life and preventing me from going forward in my weight loss journey. Until I do that I can not complain about where I'm at. My weight will only change according to what I am allowing in my life, er my mouth.

So, if I want to hang on to certain foods or larger quantities of foods then I will stay where I'm at. It's up to me.

It's nothing new, but having the visual of a cup full of ice and beverage sure made a point with this very visual lady.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good analogy. As you get closer to goal, all those things you do matter even more.

    ReplyDelete