"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, July 6, 2012

Weigh-In ... Hope for Freedom

Today's Weight:  167.5
Loss/Gain:  - 4.0 lbs

Before you congratulate me I have to share that I took part in a time of prayer and fasting a few days during this week and the 4 pounds came off during that time.  The part you can congratulate me on is that I mindfully did not overeat the day before the fast, nor the day after just because I knew I would be going without food.  

Usually we feel the need to eat lots and lots the day before the fast because we know we'll be going without food, but this time I told myself that it wasn't necessary.  During the fast I included some prayers about my food issues and why I keep stalling from following what necessary to be at a healthy weight.  

There were no great revelations, no sparks from heaven, but simply a reminder of what is true.   In trying to gather my thoughts for this post I can only say that I know overeating is a sin.  The Bible calls it gluttony.  It's an issue I think everyone faces at some time or another, but those of us with slower metabolisms tend to show we deal with it more obviously than others.  

It's an issue that requires discipline and for some reason I'll never understand it's an area of discipline I seem to only be able to conquer to some extent...until now.  

This discipline issue is something I struggle with in other areas of my life and I've had it "up to here" with the lack of control and the frustrating consequences that always follow.  

Now, I do thank the Lord my areas lacking discipline are not as bad as other peoples, but this isn't about comparing.  (Otherwise I'd be content at 30 pounds overweight, because 'at least I'm not 100 pounds overweight like so-and-so') No, this is about getting out of ruts of nasty thinking and bad habits that have only lead me to tears in the past.  

I don't feel quite ready to share more than that, but suffice it to say that I am so grateful to God for the hope of freedom from the bondage of sins like gluttony, selfishness and lack of discipline.  Because there IS hope in Jesus.  In John 8:32-35 it says: 

"Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say,‘You will be made free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. "


I don't have to live like the old Leah and always end up with old Leah results.  

I only have to be willing to surrender my will and remember to take it a day at at time.  

Today I leave you with a quote our pastor shared Sunday morning that I thought could also be applied to my weight loss journey.  

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"

There is hope for me yet, and with God's help and some vigilance on my part I can break free of old habits.  

Thanks for checking in and have a great weekend!  

1 comment: