"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, November 26, 2012

A Running Discrepancy

Ever have that feeling something is too good to be true, and then you find out it is?  

Well, I've enjoyed hearing my Nike+ tell me on my runs that I'm averaging a 9:20 - 9:30 minute mile, but I've just been so surprised...and wondered if it was true, because I just didn't think / couldn't believe I was that fast. and chalked it up to cold weather running.

So, today I wore my Garmin on my run to compare.  The times were the same, but the distances were not.  And my gut instinct seems to be correct. 

My Nike+ on my iPhone said I ran this today: 

But my Garmin said this (bottom right is distance): 

To figure out who was closer to the correct distance I took my car out and drove the path I ran and the odometer came out with this: 
So, it appears my Garmin is correct and the Nike+ GPS is not, which would explain why the Nike+ has this option: 
Edit my run?  I thought the whole point of having this app was to have the Nike+ tell me how far I ran, not for me to program it.  :(

Needless to say I'm a bit sad, but not surprised.  In the races I've ran I used my Garmin and my time/distance is usually only seconds different than the race timing chip clocks me at. 

My main upset is that I bragged about my fastest 5K on Thanksgiving morning, which is probably not true.  I'm still around a 33 minute 5K.

Oh well...That's okay..it just doesn't sound as good as less than 30 minutes did.  :) 

Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm going to look into it further and even email Nike+ people and see if I can find out if there is something I'm supposed to do to correct this issue.  

I'll keep you posted if I hear back from them. 

In the meantime, it was a beautiful day to run today and I enjoyed it immensely.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I find that my Nike+ has "off" days. I have 3 or 4 routes that I always run. Usually Nike is right on. I think it has to do with satellite service + weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use FitBit and find that the exact same route can vary on it from 2.89 to 3.19, which is actually okay because I call it 3.

    ReplyDelete