"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, November 5, 2012

Meet Dave

Yes, it's Monday and yes, I do have a motivating story to share with you.  :)

A little over a month or so I received a text from a friend of mine that went something like this, "I know he doesn't really want the attention, but I just have to brag..Dave has lost 100 pounds as of today!" 

I knew my friend's husband had been trying to lose some weight, but since we don't live near each other I had no idea just how much he'd been losing.  It was such good news to hear.  My friend has been on weight loss journeys with me in the past and we've both talked about how it would be a little easier if our husbands would get on board with regards to eating better.  

And he did. 

Plus,  he finally agreed to let me interview him for my blog.  We did this email style and his wife sent the pictures.

So, without further ado, please meet Dave ... 



How much weight have you lost?
I have lost a total of 100lbs. I started out at 347 and am now 247

How long did it take (is taking, if applicable)?
It has taken me a year

When did you first feel, or realize, you had a weight problem?
I have always been a big guy but got real serious about losing weight in July 2011

What made you want to do something about your weight?
 I was feeling more and more lethargic and went to the doctor. My blood pressure was way to high due to the excess weight and lack of exercise. I was put on high blood pressure medication. I went to the doctor for monthly check ups and after 2 months of medication and losing some weight I was taken off the medication. Once I lost some weight I started to have more energy and feel better.

How did you decide to get healthier? A diet? Exercise only?
Eliminating the 2 or 3 44oz sodas that I drank every day. As well as diet and exercise. Changing what I ate. Not really a diet. But changing my eating habits. And exercising. At first I could only ride the bike for 15 mins and each time it started to get easier. I ride now every other day for an hour.
 
Was it easy or hard to begin making the changes necessary to be healthy?
Once I had it set in my mind it was fairly easy. There is always some temptations to eating things you shouldn't but once my mind was made up it was easier.
 
Did you have a support? Wife? Kids? Peers?
It was something that I really decided to tackle alone but I certainly had support from my wife with meals and playing games with me while I exercised. But having it in my mind that this was something I wanted to do it was what I wanted to do.
 
What has been the hardest thing about losing weight?
Patience. It something that takes time to see results.
 
Has there been an easy part of losing weight?
Once you find a exercise that fits your needs it soon becomes easy. I found that the exercise bike was something that was somewhat easy for me. Something that didn't hurt my knees. I have had 2 knee surgerys.
 
Do you see any difference in attempting to lose weight as a man, versus women working on weight loss? 
 I think for men it's a much easier thing to do alone. I necessarly don't want or need to talk about it. But for women they feel they need a friend to go through it with. To have that support. Women need to talk, men don't.
 
Please share a tip or two with us that you've learned, or a tip that has made the most impact on your weight loss.
I'm sure that everyone is different but for me embrace the scale. Most people weigh once a week. But for me I weigh myself 4 times a day. When I got up, before I exercised, after I exercise, and before I go to bed. For me it helps me keep myself on track. Find a exercise that works for you, something that you enjoy. You shouldn't hate your exercise.

Dave, thank you for allowing me to share your story on my blog, and a big CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!! 

2 comments: