"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, March 20, 2014

2 Months Post-Op - with Photos

I thought I'd take a break from posting about my current state of mind and give a little update of my recovery from abdominoplasty surgery.
Today is official two months since my surgery and things are healing up quite nicely.  Almost a month ago my doctor gave me the okay for light cardio exercise; including walking, jogging, elliptical and the bike.  He told me to wait two more months before doing any core work, "including squats and anything that requires core stabilization", he specified.   

I have stitches internally where he tightened up my abdominal muscles and that is what we're waiting on to finish up healing.  I can move about pretty normally now, until I need to do something that requires abdominal strength.  For example, lying down on the bed going directly backwards.  Oh yes... that is when I am reminded that there is still something healing inside.  owie.  Sometimes reaching for something high up brings some stretching sensations as well, so I try and be careful.

My incisions are healing nicely as well.  I've noticed if I forget to put cocoa butter on them they can start itching after a few days.  Actually, that is pretty recent and I'm not sure if it's forgetting cocoa butter or beginning to get sensation back at the incision site.  hhmm... 

For the most part I feel pretty back to normal.  I guess I'd say I'm about 80%.  I think I'm right where I'm supposed to be and that is good.  

Here's a few pictures of me before my run today.  You'll notice in one I'm showing off my Small Personal Items belt.  It used to sit below my gut down around my private area or it rode way up higher on my waist.  I'm a bit tickled that it sits on my abdomen now and stays there.  :) 

I go back to the doctor at the end of April, and by then I should be released to get back to core work, which also means doing some weights and getting better strength back in my core and legs.  I am looking forward to core and strength because it helps a lot with my running.  

So, day by day I am returning to my (new) normal self.  Glory!

3 comments:

  1. You're looking great!! I read your previous post about getting into a different state of mind... and I'm glad you recognize where you are at mentally vs. what you know needs to be done. And the truth is, the ease of healthy eating really comes when you mentally accept that certain foods just aren't doing anything for your health, your physical body or your longevity. Until that point, it is always a battle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great!

    Regarding the state of mind. I think the way you need to eat is a way that you can sustain forever without feeling so deprived you go off the deep end. That is pretty much moderation, but when you eat moderately, you can also *make changes* moderately so they don't feel so drastic and something you won't stick to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy that you're shaping up, Leah! The surgery shouldn't be the end of your journey to looking fit, it should be the beginning. So, I am really happy that you decided to take things further by doing light cardio exercises. That will be really good for you. Thanks for sharing that! All the best to you! :)

    Willie Strickland @ Alexander Cosmetic Surgery

    ReplyDelete