"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, August 13, 2010

The Small Things

Well, I'm working on rearranging my weight loss journey and had a small little happy moment tonight.

My daughter made brownies for our small Bible study group. I thought it was perfect, because they are my FAVORITE treat and if we take them to Bible study most of them will get eaten and I won't have them in the house.

I decided ahead of time that I was NOT going to have any treats. We usually put together nachos or 'lil smokies with barbecue sauce, etc., so I knew this was going to be a test for me. To help myself get through the food time after the study I stopped for a diet Dr. Pepper fountain drink. I knew the leader's wife never buys diet soda and I figured this would give me something to sip on while others ate the high-fat, or sugar ladened treats.

About 20 minutes after the food part of our group started I noticed out of the corner of my eye a bowl of fresh veggies.

Surely not.

Yes, there were three bowls containing fresh celery, cucumbers and baby carrots. There was ranch for dipping on the side, but nothing on the veggies themselves. They were cold and fresh.
I was short of amazed and asked who brought them. Apparently our pregnant leader's wife has been craving celery, so she did. I shook my head in amazement and smiled. Then, I helped myself to a plate with cucumbers and a stick of celery. I sprinkled salt on them and then she even had a lime for me to squeeze some juice on them as well.

YUM!!!

Coincidence? I don't know, but maybe, just maybe, God knew I was working to change things around and helped this young wife think to bring those fresh veggies to the table just for me. It was a small thing, but it meant so much.

And, yes, I will start bringing healthier snacks from now on. I just didn't have time to get some together tonight and the brownie mix was already on hand...yea, that could be a whole 'nother lesson in itself - opting for easy versus work..hhmm...

Anyway, have a great weekend! I have some great news to share with everyone (it had a lot to do with why I made the decision about this get together tonight), but I'm not sure if I'll get to it tomorrow or not. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome job resisting the treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God does work in mysterious ways, doesn't he! That's awesome. Just what you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you were able to have veggies! Congrats on the day! :-)

    ReplyDelete