"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, October 15, 2010

Weigh-In ... Hot 100 Update #3

Today's Weight: 196.0
Loss/Gain: +4.0 lbs
Total Loss So Far: -35 lbs

Baffled. Frustrated. Upset. Tearful. Those are the words that explain how I feel this morning.
I was not surprised, because I got on the scale a few days ago and was surprised at what I saw. So, I started watching the scale daily and it crept up another pound. I was very baffled and spent time last night looking over my food journal to see what went wrong. I compared to other weeks. The only huge difference is that I haven't been able to get to the gym in almost two weeks now. I have had "high" days in the past, but it has not ever caused this kind of gain.

So, I'm still very baffled by it. I will be honest that I have so much going on right now that I don't have time to spend crying about it, but it's all I've wanted to do all morning. I know that the belt has needed tightening in certain areas, but when those areas never caused a gain of this magnitude in the past it's very frustrating.

Also, no matter what we say about it only being a number on the scale it is a number that is frustrating when you feel like you've really been making strides in your weight loss journey. If it was just a number then I wouldn't be allowed to rejoice so greatly when I saw 192. So, it does have significance in my journey, but now I have to let it go and get on with my day.

To top off how vexed I am to be up to a number I haven't seen in over a month it's compounded by the fact that I'm in the Hot 100 Challenge. My #1 goal in this challenge is to see weight loss. All my other goals are pillars I want cemented in place to support that goal. Three weeks and a weight that is higher than when I started isn't conducive to feeling very victorious. But I will keep going, because I've come too far to give up.

To keep going I have to post my update, so here goes....


WEIGHT GOAL: Lose 0.5 - 1.5 lbs a week. No. I am now officially higher than when I started.

ACTIVITY GOALS:
  • Exercise four days a week, no skimping down to three during the holidays. Two down and two scheduled today and tomorrow, but I won't even put this in yellow because I have two to get done and not just the one.
  • Be able to jog at 4.8 mph for 25 minutes. This gives me time for slight warm up and cool down on the treadmill that has a 30-minute limit at the gym. I am going with yellow on this, because I have continued working on strength and getting exercise in but I haven't jogged in two weeks. Schedules at home haven't allowed me to get to the gym.
FOOD GOALS:
  • Drink at least 64 oz of water daily. At least half of the week I did, but still not 100% of the days. This is an area of belt tightening I will work on.
  • Journal all my eats and drinks and stay within my calorie goals daily, with the exception of one high-calorie day that I allow to throw things off a bit. Yes on journaling everything. However, I was over my daily calorie goal more than my one day. I know many of you are wondering, "Well, just how much, that's probably why the gain.", but before you criticize, please trust me that it's not more than I've done in the past and according to past habits should've only brought a maintain or one pound up .. not 4. Thus the frustration. It doesn't mean that I can't fix it and I was planning on it before I even saw the gain.
EMOTIONAL GOAL: **I've decided to make my emotional goal the goal of visiting one new blog each week. Connecting with others on this journey is the emotional support I need at this time. I don't have time to visit blogs and focus on the Beck book, so I'm switching it up for the challenge. Done. I visited a few different blogs this week. Some are at goal and were encouraging and some are fighting the fight like me.

HOLIDAY GOAL: Only one or two "foo-foo" coffee drinks from Starbucks the week I am visiting my mom in November. I will stick to regular coffee and cream the rest of the weeks. Done. Only regular coffee the one time I went to Starbucks this week.

Well, while I like red and yellow in falling leaves this time of year, I don't plan on sharing those colors every week on this challenge. For now I have to leave my blog and get my mind onto other projects that await me this weekend. I've had a few moments where I allowed myself to cry. I've prayed for guidance on how to handle this and I know God has brought a peace of mind to me. I will remind myself that I need to just keep going, get with the program and remember that God doesn't allow me to go through anything I can't handle.

I will keep going, because I know I've come to far to quit. And if the scale is still up after a great week next week, then I'm buying a new one. :)

Have a nice Friday everyone and have a great weekend! I hope you are all having some nice, autumn weather. We surely are!!

11 comments:

  1. (((Hugs))) Leah!

    Could it just be a hormonal gain?....I can see a gain of 4-6 pounds at different times in my cycle...like during ovulation for me...and then it is gone...with nothing changing in the eating or exercise routine on my part.

    I understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah, it's nice to meet you. I really do understand your frustration at moving in the wrong direction on the scale, despite what was a good week overall (I've been there myself this week). Stay strong and know that you will see results again. You look as though you have everything in place to be successful. By the way, I just read your post about your Mums medical issues this past year and it sounds as though she is doing well. It is must be a comfort to her to have such a proud and determined daughter. And as you said, what an inspirational person she is, to have overcome diabetes despite undergoing chemo. Nat x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you know this but I am going to say it anyways - the scale is a fickle beast. Try as we might, we can't control it. All we can control is our own actions. So while I do weigh and I do pay attention to and care about the number, I am learning to focus instead on what I do and let that dictate if I have a good week or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Friend! I wanted to stop by and offer support because I have been a bad blogging buddy. I'm sorry for the disappointment this week. I think once you get back into the exercise groove, the pounds will come off. If you have a great exercise/eating week this week you will see a good loss, I'm sure. I have found with gains in the past, not to panic. Just stick to what has worked (with a few change ups, like new exercises, here and there) for you and it will all even out. I wish it wasn't always such a battle but have found out on my own that it will probably always be one.
    You have been such a great support to me, I hope you know I am here rooting for you , too. We can do this!

    I am still working on my post. It is hard to find the time to write a post, when there is so much to say after so long. I may not post until Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. I know it's hard when this happens. But...you have a plan to be sure it doesn't happen again. The exercise is key and you've gotta keep those calories in check. You know what to do and the good news is you know you CAN. Now, get started. On the bright side. OU will kick some Iowa State butt this week AND TX is going down again to Nebraska. Ha ha ha ha ha ha! BOOMER! Hang in there, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep your chin up, girl! Come back strong next week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the number on the scale does not always reflect how the week went. We always rejoice when there are losses that aren't deserved, when we should look at them like we do for the gains not deserved - as an aberration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time visitor from the Hot 100 Challenge. I'm sorry the week didn't give you the results you were looking for. I hope next week is better for you. Don't give up! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found you through the Hot 100 Challenge. Just remember that we can't control the number on the scale. We can only take charge of our choices and the good healthy habits we are creating. Eventually the scale will move in the right direction. I know it is disappointing but we also have to look at our non scale victories and rejoice in those. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't let the scale get to you Leah! You know strange things happen with scales. In fact, tonight I will be posting something on this topic - a real lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too am going to say that it is just a number. If you haven't exercised regularly in two weeks - that is probably a good bit of the problem. I know how difficult it is and I'm praying for your emotional health right now. Stay strong Leah - you are making all the right steps to reach your goal.

    ReplyDelete