"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

24-Hour Getaway


A more personal post with some weight-related items sprinkled in....


Last Friday my husband took me out of town for a little 24-hour-getaway to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. The kids stayed home with a sitter for the night. We enjoyed some shopping Friday afternoon including new running shoes for him and pants for me from Kohls (I LOVE KOHLS). They were a more snug size 16 than last spring, but they still fit and that was wonderful for me.

We stopped for a lunch of sushi and a japanese flavored meat and rice tray. Then we checked into our hotel and hung out until it was time to get ready for dinner.

For dinner he surprised me with reservations to The Melting Pot. I've wanted to try this place for years. You definitely pay for the experience of eating a meal that is served completely fondue style and we enjoyed it. We weren't able to finish any of the courses and still left very full.
I have to say that while I ate plenty at dinner I have a great non-scale victory to share about that afternoon.

I didn't pack any snacks for our hotel, so after lunch I didn't sit around the hotel room munching away mindlessly. This meant that I was plenty hungry when dinner time rolled around.

This is good for me, who has always tended to bring along lots of snacks and associated hotel stays with junk food. :)

After dinner we enjoyed shopping around for the 15-20 minutes the shops were still open and I picked up a little something at Pottery Barn, which I love. love. love. (even though I can't afford the majority of their stuff). We also drooled through the windows at Williams-Sonoma, which we both love. love. love. (and I just learned is associated with PB, which explains why I love them both...)

It was nice to get away for a night and spend time with the man who has been by my side literally through "thick and thin" these past 16 years. He's been supportive if I want to lose weight and non-judgmental if I was gaining or maintaining; and through it all he has loved me no matter what.

Yep, he's a keeper and I look forward to many, many more years by his side, though hopefully taking up less space in the future. *giggle*

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary!! :-)
    I heard a great metaphor at my church retreat this weekend I wanted to share with you. The speaker was talking about the word of God as our nutrition and how we falter and don't grow when we aren't in the word. I thought about how true this is too for our bodies, when we don't take care of our nutrition, we can't grow healthier (whether we eat too much or too little). Anyhow, I just wanted to share!! :)

    ReplyDelete