"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, September 2, 2011

Weigh-In ... Just a Number

Today's Weight:  189 . 0
Loss/Gain:  - 1 . 0
Total Loss So Far:  - 42 . 0 lbs

Yesterday I read a chapter in Made to Crave about the scale being just a number to mark where you at - it is not a dictator of who you are as a person.  I was feeling very good about my week, completely agreeing with what was said, thinking how I'd post about it at some time because it was so true, but not feeling like I needed to really get a grip on that subject for myself.

Until this morning.

Then I was crushed that I was only down a pound.  I weigh daily and had seen lower numbers on the scale in the week, so seeing 189 was a vex.   I've had a good week and felt that number didn't correctly portray my progress.

I was so vexed I didn't want to run today, or exercise for that matter.  I wanted to sit and cry and forget it all.  Instead I put on my tennis and went out for what I thought would be a walk; it ended up being C25K Week 4 and another mile of walking afterwards for a 3-mile, 47-minute workout.

As I'm feeling better, I'm now reminded of a quote from the chapter on the scale:

  "We can step on the scale and accept the numbers for what they are -- an indication of how much our body weighs -- and not an indication of our worth."   - Lysa Terkeurst

I had major breakthroughs in my thoughts this week, both in general and with food.  I tracked about 85% of my food, exercised three days and 99% of the time I didn't eat beyond full.  I didn't feel drawn to food at all times and I respected when my body was full and didn't snack in the evenings.

The fact that I didn't eat beyond full and didn't snack later in the evenings when I wasn't hungry was HUGE for me, so I'm choosing to be content.  I made great progress this week and in time it will show up on the scale, even if it is only a pound a week.

4 comments:

  1. Leah, that's awesome. It's so hard to not let numbers bother us into discouragement. I can kind of understand this because I started to feel pretty discouraged after I did my weekly accounting of in/out calories last night.

    It sounds like you had a very productive and positive week and that hard work is definitely going to show up on the scale in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Leah!
    You are so in control, that quote from Made to Crave is POWERFUL!!!

    I love the breakthroughs that you stated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah, Just wanted to let you know I’ve passed on the Leibster blog award to you. Pop over to my blog to get some more details.

    You are doing so well with your journey, well done. That book Made to Crave sounds really good too. I think I will have to check out Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!! I hate that the scales can change how you feel about yourself. New follower from Jane @ running to shed the fat suit. Cheers Sammy

    ReplyDelete