"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back in the [exercise] Groove

Today I went to the gym for the first time since school let out back in June.  (Oh, wait..I did go once during summer break..oops..)  It was wonderful!  Dropping my kids off at their schools and then heading to the base to exercise just felt right.  It was my routine last year and today I remembered why I love it.

No matter how tired I am when I get up, by the time the kids are up and we head out to school I'm usually full awake to exercise.  Then when I get to the gym and I see the regulars I'm motivated to work hard.  I walk in and think, "Yes, there's the elderly retired men and women who show up faithfully Monday through Friday.  Oh, look there's the young mom - she's looking good! "  etc. etc.

I chose to use the stationary bike today as cross training for my running and when I was about to get on the bike one of the elderly gentlemen asked me, "You back from vacation?"  I smiled and replied, "Kids are back in school!"  He grinned with a big, "Ah ha!".

*insert contented sigh*

Yes, I'm back.  And even more special, I was remembered.

I'm glad I decided to come back to what is familiar and what seems to work for me with regards to exercise.

Oh, I added in a little bit of what I learned in my summer workouts with Jillian Michaels and the Body Revolution DVDs.  After biking I went over to a newly renovated area with mats and free weights (Thank you gym...there was only ONE mat to stretch on before when the classroom was being used) where I did some push ups, planks and ab work for about 15-20 minutes.  Then I stretched, grabbed my keys and headed home.  And it was only 8:45 am.

As I drove home I felt like I was back in the groove.  This is how I remember my mornings before and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment