"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Getting the Timing Right

Short Story: 
I need more sleep.  I have been dragging horribly every day and I find myself drinking extra coffee and eating extra food to try and stay awake and/or get more energy.  Not good.  So I had to figure out a new schedule.

Long Story:
One of my friends has sent her oldest child off to kindergarten this year.  It's the beginning of a whole new life for their family; one that includes school schedules and a whole new arena of planning meals, errands, and for her, yes, workouts too.  

She's had this great routine going and now having a child start school has meant rearranging her schedule.  When we discussed it one day I felt like I was old hat at this since my kids are in middle and high schools now.  

Um, not quite. 

Throwing high school into my school routine has forced me to change things up as well.  

The high school only starts fifteen minutes earlier than the middle school, but it's fifteen minutes that has really thrown me off.  

To get up and do devotions before the kids are up and downstairs, 5:15am at the latest, just hasn't happened without dire consequences to my wakefulness.  I'm a lady who needs a good 7-8 hours of sleep to function well through a full day.  I've had days where I'm so exhausted I can hardly get anything done.  I've even had to take naps to get through some days.  I try to get to bed earlier, but it doesn't always happen.  

Now the reason for getting up before them is to do my devotions early so that I can workout immediately after I take them to school.  This still allows plenty of time in my day for errands, chores, etc. before leaving to get them from school (which is now fifteen minutes earlier than last year as well.). But if I end up taking a nap before getting them doesn't that cut my day short anyway?? 

This may not all make sense to you, but let's just say I decided that instead of dragging all day, and drinking extra coffee and/or eating extra food to try and get some energy, I will get up when my kids do - 6:00am - and come home for devotions before starting my workout.  

If I only get a few things done before they are home from school, then so be it.  We're home by 3:05 in the afternoon, so I still have plenty of my day left to do things, it'll just get done with them home versus in the quiet.  

And I'm so okay with that idea.  

Yes, let me tell you, these past two days that I've followed this new schedule have gone much better already.  

Glory!

p.s.  I have to add, I'm so grateful I have a life that allows me to rearrange my schedule to allow time for sleep.  I know not all moms are so lucky.  :)

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to be able to switch up your schedule.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete