"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ice Skating

Short Story:  I went ice skating for the first time and succeeded knowing my weight loss and regular physical activity made it easier than it would've been in the past.  Score!!
Long Story: 
Yesterday I went on a field trip with my son's class to an ice skating rink.  I've never been ice skating, but I figured I'd give it a go.  You gotta try new things, right? 

Well, I got the skates on and then stood up.  It wasn't as bad as I thought to balance on them.  Then came the ice.  Whoo Boy!  It was slippery and I spent the first 3/4 of a lap with my hand on the side taking it very slow.  

My legs were literally shaking I was so nervous. 

Then I just started telling myself, "You can do this.  If you can run a 10K, you can ice skate.  You are strong.  You exercise regularly.  Relax.   your.   knees.  ....  Relax.  period. "  

Since I was a young girl I've hated hitting bumps when I skate.  I could never skate well on a sidewalk because every little piece of grit or pebble would threaten to stop me and make me fall.  It was the same on the ice and I was shaking. 

Finally I started loosening up, forcing myself to go with the flow and relax.  I got the hang of it and enjoyed myself (while constantly on the lookout for 7th graders who were falling regularly so as to steer clear of them...I never did stop without just going to the wall.  lol) I was even able to coast to a girl who had fallen and help her. 

In fact, I even did the chicken dance.  Remember that?!?! Me and another mom reminisced about how it reminded us of the skating rink when we were kids.  I was pleased to see many of the kids knew about this dance as well...it lives on!! 

But I digress. 

As I was wobbly skating and enjoying myself I often thought about how this was another activity I was able to take part in more easily because of my weight loss.  

I'm the kind of girl who would've gone even if I was larger, as my weight didn't stop me from trying to participate, but I know the skating was made easier by weighing a bit less and being physically active.  I could tell myself my legs were strong enough to carry me.  

It was a great feeling!! (then I imagined I was on one of those skating ponds you see in a movie on a brisk, sunny winter day and enjoyed it all the much more..)

Now for the funny ending ....

I think I became prematurely confident in my skating abilities and when I tried to join in with some other clap-along "fun" song I fell.  BAM!  I don't even remember what happened except suddenly I was flat on my stomach, feeling my stomach soften the blow and my head snapped back.  I got to my knees and decided crawling to the wall was not as embarrassing as falling a second time trying to get up.  

BIG LOL 

Apparently, my arms must've flown up and slammed down, because I now have a bruise on the inside of each elbow.  And boy is my neck sore today!  

That was my only major mishap, but I got up and skated a little more after that and still enjoyed it.  In fact, my son and I agreed that we had a blast! 

I'll definitely chaperone this trip again next year if they need me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment