"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My 2013 10K Training Plan

This week I've begun a 10K training plan in preparation for a race I'd like to do in May.  I'm starting a few weeks early because (A) I'm excited to get started and (B) I know for sure there's one week I most likely won't get running in due to a short trip.  

My plan is the 10K: Own It plan from the book Train Like A Mother.  I got this book for Christmas and enjoyed reading it as much as I did their first book Run Like A Mother.  

Among other wonderful information, tips and stories, the training book has two types of training plans for distances 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon. One plan is easier and called the "Finish It" plan, the other is a bit harder and called the "Own It" plan.  The easier plan is to help a person make it to the finish line of a race without injury; the harder plan is to help someone make a personal best time.  

I picked the harder plan only because I saw the longer distances on the long runs and I decided those would be beneficial in preparing me for the half marathon I want to do in September.   It's a win-win plan.  

And..because I love making things pretty...I made up a sheet to hang and check off each of my workouts using a new digital scrapbooking kit I got recently.  :) 


This is now hung on my bedroom mirror and I will highlight each workout as I complete them.  

My plan is to do the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution DVDs on the cross training days (XT) and then the run workouts the other days.  I may go for a walk on the optional rest day, or I may rest.  I will always rest on Sundays.  

So, there it is.  My workout plan for the next few months. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the plan it looks so much better like that!! I think I would look at it more often if mine was as pretty/interesting as that!

    ReplyDelete