"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Memorial Day

I hope your Memorial Day and weekend were nice.  We have friends who lost their son while he was serving in Iraq, so I always take a moment to call or text the mom to let her know we are thinking of them and thank them for the sacrifice they had to make for our country. 


Having lost my mother this year I felt a smidge more of understanding what the families of our fallen soldiers must go through on a holiday like this.  In fact, it was a sobering morning for me as I pondered what the holiday meant and took a moment to pray for the families that were remembering their loved one who gave all for our country.



We had a nice relaxing day on Memorial Day, spending some time at the beach and then coming home to shower and rest a bit before an evening picnic with our church.  They put on a presentation in the evening honoring the 70th anniversary of D-Day.  While D-Day is June 6th, they decided to do the commemoration on Memorial Day since they knew more people would have off of work and be able to attend.  It was a good reminder of the men and women who've made our country great.  

My girls watched "Saving Private Ryan" for the first time last week and they commented that it made what they've learned about WWII all the more real.  Very sobering in a good way.  

We live in a military town and are surrounded by men and women who constantly deal with family members deploying overseas.  While I've found many are supportive of their loved ones there is still the constant thought in the back of the mind, "They could not make it home."  Having been through a deployment now I understand that and it makes me even more grateful for those who serve, but even more for those that are willing to release.  

I am blessed my husband made it home safe from his deployment, but not everyone does.  So, while I know the holiday is over now, I do want to take a minute and send a thank you to any military families who may be reading this blog that have lost a family member to military service.  

We are a simple family of five, but we have a deep gratitude for the sacrifices made so that we can have more tomorrows in this blessed country.  And we will do our best to make sure our children, and the generations to come never forget the price that has been paid for their freedom.  The sacrifices have not been in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment