"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, March 19, 2010

Weigh-In ... Getting Rid of It


Today's Weight: 206.5
Loss/Gain: +1.0 lb
Total Loss So Far: -24.5 lbs

I have nothing really to say to justify my gain. I wasn't careful, and though I've exercised all five days I haven't eaten "weight loss portions" as Steve puts it. Basically I've maintained my weight for five months now. The newness of really beginning to believe I could lose the weight and seeing myself lose those first 20 pounds has worn off and I'm a bit frustrated.

Frustrated in a good way - in the way that I know I need to get going. It's given me plenty to think about. You know, my husband started working out last summer, but hasn't really changed his eating habits. He has dropped inches and a few pounds and everything fits him better and he's looking great and feeling great. He's never had a weight issue like me and I can't solely depend on working out to lose the weight, unless I want to work out for hours and hours a day, which I don't and can't do anyway.


So, as I packed away the snowmen decorations last week and I am going through the house cleaning out old stuff, in preparation for a city-wide yard sale in a few months, I had a mental conversation with myself.
It went something like this: "Self, springtime is coming. Just like you're going to plant flowers soon you also need to plant more good seeds of healthy choices and portions into your life. You're seeing the bulbs you planted last fall coming up and are enjoying the beauty they have to offer, but you plant more because you won't be satisfied with just daffodils and pansies. So, you also can't be satisfied with where you're at in your weight loss journey.

Also, you've packed away the snowman stuff and are getting rid of old things you no longer need. Well, there are habits you no longer need and they need to be given away also. You need to realize that they aren't helping you and they are just cluttering up your life.

Your thoughts are cluttered with feelings of defeat and failure because of this extra weight. Your body is cluttered with layers of fat that you know are hanging there around the muscle you are building with your regular exercise.

You have begun jogging and have proven that you are capable of much more than you ever thought. You have lost and kept off 10% of your body weight. This proves you have what it takes to get with the program and break 200 pounds and go even further.

Spring is coming and it's time, Leah, to plant some good seeds in your weight loss journey and watch what will take place if you'll care for them properly. But only you can do it, no one is going to do it for you. Now get to work. "

So, that's where I'm at. I know it's not easy...I would almost be to goal if it was, but I know it can be done.

Please bear with me as I continue on in my weight loss journey and work hard at planting more good seeds and getting rid of those bad habits. I appreciate all of your support and your successes, they are the "gardening books" of sort that help me see what can be done if I follow through.

Have a great weekend everyone!

7 comments:

  1. That is an excellent letter to self. And, one that many of us can certainly relate to. You know what you need to do, and I definitely heard the seeds of success germinating in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your conversation with your self. Can I just copy it and pretend like it was for me too?

    I read an article somewhere (can't remember where) a couple of months ago that talked about how men can lose weight by exercise alone. But woman need to incorporate exercise and diet into their program. Bummer!

    You are doing great on the exercise, I know you will get there with the diet part, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have SUCCEEDED-- lost and kept off 20 pounds. But to lose more, you have to do more work. Let's see, who else do I know like that around here? Hmmm. I hit this weight back in November and I am thrilled about maintaining but I need to drop more. Spring's a great time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great letter to yourself! I had posted something to this effect to Steve about being at a crossroads a while back. You are at a point now that many people reach, and every decision you make will decide which fork in the road you are going to follow. There is the going back to the way things were, or going down the path to better health.

    The easy path is the way back. It takes fortitude and determination to keep going to the other way when progress grinds to a halt. Persevere and you can do it!
    (just keep swimming)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that letter to yourself, you might have to print it off and tuck it in a few places to remind yourself from time to time ;)
    My husband is the same way and it can be frustrating at times. I think I will always have to measure portions out and preplan what I'm going to eat the next day.
    You have the knowledge and will power to get through this little obstacle, but it's so worth it when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great self conversation. One good thing is that although you haven't lost a lot over the last little bit neither have you gone backwards. You are just doing the temporary maintenance thing.

    It sounds like you might be ready to get off the temporary maintenance merry-go-round and keep moving forward.

    You are doing fine - I enjoy reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete