"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fighting Christmas A.D.D.

I have to admit something....I think I suffer from Christmas attention deficit disorder.

Yep, I find it hard to concentrate on the daily necessities of life when there is so much to be done for the approaching holidays. Oh my!!

During my morning devotions my mind wanders to Christmas party decor, gifts to buy. Then, after I've attempted to reign myself in and finish up my spiritual exercise, I find myself wanting to skip physical exercise and just get on with my day.

I mean, there are presents to wrap, ornaments to make, baking to be done! Right?!?!

Yes, but....

...there is also the need to maintain a healthy life through all the hustle and bustle.

So, to help myself stay focused on life I have adopted some of these practices lately:
  1. I take time in my Bible reading to read parts of the Christmas story and really think about what it must've been like back then when our savior was born.
  2. I pray for those that may be struggling during this holiday season - either with loss, financial struggles, with a family member away serving in the military, the list goes on.
  3. I pray and thank God for the blessings he's bestowed upon my life.
  4. I decide to go for my walk and put Christmas music on my iPod or listen to a Christmas story or Christmas themed Old Radio Show.
Did you catch that last one?

I decide.

I make a choice that I will do what needs to be done to stay sane during the holidays. And while it isn't always easy, I remind myself that everything will get done in good time and I'll be a happier wife, mother and friend if I stay focused and keep my daily healthy disciplines in place.

How about you? How do you manage all the ways you're pulled during the holidays? I'd love more ideas. :)

2 comments:

  1. I put on my Josh Groben cd and take a little time to think about all that has happened this past year. My mother in law passed away at the age of 59 from bone cancer, my grandmother passed away from a brain tumor and my husbands aunt passed at the age of 54 from brain cancer as well as many other family and friends...it is very sad time this year during the holidays. But I am finding comfort in knowing they are with our heavenly father having the best Christmas ever pain free:-) This has really made me slow down and take everything in around me...and take nothing for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the start of each week I like to plan out my workouts for the week. With the busy Christmas season, I find it super important to think about WHEN I am going to workout before heading to bed and realized that I didn't get it done.

    ReplyDelete