"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp

While perusing blogs the other evening I clicked my way over to SkinnyTaste.com.  I felt like I hit a gold mine of healthy, yet tasty meals.  I bought the ingredients for two of her meals and last night I made the first one. 

Here's another shrimp dish with the sweetness of coconut milk which compliments the spiciness of the red curry paste in this simple dish. Serve this over jasmine rice for a complete meal. If you've never used fish sauce before, don't let the smell fool you. It blends with the other flavors and really adds to this dish.


Red Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th  Old Points: 3 pts  Points+: 3 pts Calories: 135 • Fat: 4.4 g  Protein: 18.5 g  Carb: 4.7 g  Fiber: 0.9 g Ingredients:  
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 4 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped
  • 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 6 oz light coconut milk
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • salt to taste

Directions: 
    In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add scallion whites and red curry paste and sauté one minute. Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt and cookabout 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and mix well. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Remove from heat, mix in scallion greens and cilantro. Serve over rice and enjoy!

    My family loved this recipe!  It was so easy to prepare and full of flavor.  I would've added more curry paste, but my kids liked it the way it was.  Instead, I added Sriracha to my food and that brought the added spice that I love about Thai food.  

    This will definitely be added to my collection of dinner recipes.  I will add sautéed vegetables next time for more filling, so we aren't tempted to eat too much rice.  :) 


    Oh, and I just realized that I think I used regular coconut milk instead of "light" coconut milk.  hhmm...that's probably where she cuts the extra calories out.  Oh well.  We ate decent portions and that makes a difference in calories as well.

    Note:  Both photos are of my food and dinner was served on a salad plate, in case you're thinking a huge plate of food is not a "decent" portion.  LOL 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment