"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wake-Up Call


Diane from Fit to the Finish wrote a wonderful post the other day on not really seeing our selves as we are physically. You can read it here.

I know that, personally, this is a problem for me. For years I didn't look at myself with honest eyes, but it didn't stop when my weight loss journey started. Instead I've continued this bad habit.

Having lost twenty five pounds and starting a regular fitness regimen has me feeling very, very healthy and, well, wonderful. So it is easy for me to think I'm doing great and that, yea..sad as it is...that I'm fine. But I know that it's not fine.

While I know that I do feel great and I am proud that I've made wonderful progress in my weight loss journey, I have to be honest with myself. I still have a ways to go.

Besides Diane's post, you know what else brought this to my attention? The changing rooms at Target.

Something about seeing myself from every angle without a top on was very, um, exposing and scary. I see myself from the front often enough, maybe even the side at times, but never the back and when I caught site of myself from the back I was shocked.

Shocked in a good way.

It made me realize I need to keep moving down the scale and on towards better health. Yes, I'm jogging and feeling much better than before, but I'm still overweight. And I need to keep working on it.

And I will. This post has a happy ending... :) ... I will keep working on it, but I'm glad when I get a wake-up call like the three-way mirrors or the post by Diane.

4 comments:

  1. Better then a health wake up call! You might be able to stave that off by taking care of this in your early thirties. Took pre diabetes to get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that post Diane did, it really hit home with me too! For about 7 years I hated my picture being taken because I "looked fat"...Now when I look back at old family pictures, I'm not in many at all.
    Congrats on your sucess of getting healthier! Yeah, those changing rooms can be a big wake up call, it's nice to look into them and like what you are seeing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that post, and the Target dressing room were revealing to you. One thing I really like is that although you have lost a lot of weight, you still have goals for yourself. That's just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - not AT you, but because I relate to the store mirrors. In fact, that's one of my first posts:

    http://fitby41maybe42.blogspot.com/2009/10/shopping-and-three-way-mirror.html

    (It's short).

    ReplyDelete