"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Lessons from Mom

Today is my mom's birthday.  My friend's mother passed away this past Sunday and another friend's father passed away this past Saturday.  My mother is a breast cancer survivor and knowing we came close to losing her a few years ago makes every birthday more special.

Being overweight is an issue both she and I have dealt with all of our lives.  Here are some of the best lessons in life she ever taught me with regards to my health:

  • All things in moderation.  There were always treats in the house growing up, but we didn't just eat and eat them whenever we wanted.  
  • Love yourself as you are.  Growing up I was a chubby girl and then teenager and I never once heard my mom tell me I was fat, nor did I hear her ever suggest I needed to go on a diet. 
  • Keep trying.  If I did feel a little overweight and wanted to lose some weight my mom would encourage me as best she could; even if it was the 3rd time in a year I complained about my weight but did nothing about it.  She never suggested I'd failed so many times at weight loss that I should quit trying. 
  • Dress for your figure.  My mom taught me to dress modestly and in a way that flattered my figure, no matter how curvy it was. 
So, to my mom I say, "Thank you, Mom, for your love and example in my life.  I wish you the happiest of birthdays!" 

3 comments:

  1. This so awesome Leah! and Happy Birthday to your mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so blessed to have a loving and kind daughter such as you! Thank you for that. We are also very blessed to know a God who loves us just as we are.

    ReplyDelete