"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My First Healthy McD's Lunch


Yesterday I took McDonald's to the school to have lunch with the girls. I was going to take one of them to get braces after lunch, so since she didn't like the lunch being served I decided to treat them both to McDonalds.

I drove up to the window, ordered two Big Mac Combos* and then I ordered a Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad for me with a diet Coke. I almost just ordered a McDouble for me and told myself I'd have a few fries, but something in me said, "No, you don't want that greasy ole burger today and you need some veggies. That salad should work."

So, I went to the school, we ate and I enjoyed my salad while they enjoyed their food. I didn't feel like I was left out because I didn't get a burger and fries. In fact, I ate about 5-8 french fries and that satisfied the salty craving I have around fries.

It was great and surprising all at once.

I remember reading a post from Diane at Fit to the Finish where she mentioned ordering healthy at fast food places and I thought, "Well, I can't see myself ordering a salad at McDonalds. I'd rather just have a small amount and be okay with that."

But I did order a salad and I liked it. :)



* Don't hate me about the Big Macs, because those are a treat for them. They also don't eat the entire meal. It's really amazing and something I learn from watching them. They were full after the burgers and so they only ate maybe a quarter of the fries. They gave me a few each and then we passed them on to some boys sitting at a table next to us. They were satisfied with their treat and didn't force more in just because it tasted so good. They've pretty much always been this way and I'm glad they have this good instinct, because I didn't as a child and it got worse as I grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment