"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fish Week - Thursday

Dinner Thursday night was, for lack of a better name...

Leah's Cooked Shrimp Ceviche Dish
Corn Tortilla Chips
Family's Opinion: I make this often and only three of us love it. I usually make it along with something else, but tonight I served it by itself for the sake of Fish Week.

My daughter that doesn't like shrimp ate it without complaining. My son had a harder time with it as he doesn't like tomatoes or onions.

My plate held one cup of shrimp ceviche and one serving of tortilla chips...twice. Um, yea... I was hungry and this stuff is addicting. I could've done without the second serving of tortilla chips since I had some frozen yogurt earlier in the day, but I didn't.

One cup of the ceviche is about 175 calories and one serving of tortilla chips (Yes, I actually weigh mine to be exact) is 140 calores, so a single (and usually plenty) serving is about 315 calories.

Ceviche is a mexican dish that is usually made with raw fish that has been marinating in lime or lemon juice until the acids from the juice "cook" it. However, I made this up once a couple of years ago using cooked shrimp to go along with some tacos when we were having people over. It has basically everything in regular ceviche, but it's not authentic, because I use cooked meat.

RECIPE
Leah's Cooked Shrimp Ceviche
by me. :)
I usually just throw this together, but last night I was careful to watch amounts to give you a good idea of what should go in here. You can add more or less of whatever you want.
  • 1 pound large cooked shrimp, shelled and cut into smaller pieces ( if you use small or tiny shrimp you don't have to cut it up - I've done that before) *
  • 2 large tomatoes, diced
  • 2 cucumbers, diced
  • 1 medium - large white onion, diced
  • 3 small avocados, cubed ( or 2 large)
  • 1 bunch (maybe about 1-2 cups) cilantro, cut up
  • 1 serrano pepper, minced *optional*
  • Juice from 3-5 large limes (to taste)
  • approx. 1 Tbsp. garlic powder, to taste
  • approx 2 tsp. dried oregano, to taste
  • salt to taste, some like more some less. I use more, because I think anything is good with lime and salt on it!! :)
Add everything to a large bowl and stir until your spices and lime juice have had time to mingle with the vegetables. Eat right away with corn tortilla chips, a fork or like a tostada on a corn tostada shell.

This is a great make-ahead dish that tastes even better when it's had some time to sit and marinate.

Everyone that's tried this dish has loved it - even the lady who is allergic to shrimp and was wondering why her throat was getting scratchy all of the sudden...she hadn't seen the pieces in it, nor did I know she had an allergy so I didn't warn her..oops. So, if you don't like shrimp, feel free to try other fish or none at all is really good too! :)

This is something I already make regularly and so I will continue to do so. I love it mostly during warmer weather. It's so fresh and light!

I don't think I'll serve it as a main meal again for the sake of the two family members that really don't like it. :) We make our kids eat whatever is served to them and last night they made it through that, but I'll continue serving it alongside something else like normal from now on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment