"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Not Grounded Enough?

Okay, so last night I found myself in a situation that is not new to me lately. It's one of the worst struggles that I rarely seem to overcome.

We were coming home from church and my friend who is visiting wanted a Coke. So, I mentioned maybe we could stop by McDonald's. I knew my kids and husband would like something to eat, so it wasn't a big deal. I wasn't hungry, so I figured on not getting anything for myself.

Even as we drove home I was thinking about how I wasn't hungry and really didn't need anything. A snack wrap didn't even sound good....because I wasn't hungry.

However, when I went to order I ordered myself a McDouble and a Diet Coke.

The struggle in my mind instantly was "It's like vacation..and I'll get back on track next week."

To make a long story short, I ate my sandwich at home along with some of my daughter's french fries. I wasn't stuffed because I'd eaten a very light dinner, but I felt awful.

This morning in my bible reading I came across the scripture that goes like this:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. Romans 7:15

It's exactly a struggle I've had before that I haven't been able to break completely through yet. I know I'm not hungry, I don't want to eat, but I find myself doing it out of old habits. It's so very frustrating and something I know I need to gain victory over.

I almost wanted to cry with frustration last night, but I realized that tears weren't going to change anything. I did decide that I would continue to be careful through the rest of the week and not throw it all just because of one bad decision.

As I finished with my bible reading today and was praying and pondering how to gain victory over this frustrating habit of mine I also finished up with reading the following:
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Romans 8:37

I always come on here and say that I won't give up, and I mean it every time. This is a life long, life changing journey - frustrations and all. With God's help and some determination and hard work on my part I will overcome this old habit of mine. I will conquer.

Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

  1. Old habits are hard to break, that's why they're called habits. It was good to see that you didn't have a blowout for the rest of the day, the old "today is ruined, might was well eat what I want, tomorrow I'll start afresh."

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is just something instinctual at the drive through that you MUST order something for yourself. I find myself doing this. Find grace in that Scripture, because Paul, who was so much more zealous than any of us could be struggled too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am at a crossroads with a food chioce I remind myself of how good I will feel for making the right choice. There is great power in being stronger than a cheeseburger. Thank you for the great reminder!

    ReplyDelete