"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, July 10, 2009

Endorphin Relief

endorphin:  en-ˈdȯr-fən (noun)  : any of a group of endogenous peptides (as enkephalin) found especially in the brain that bind chiefly to opiate receptors and produce some pharmacological effects (as pain relief) like those of opiates.     
  -Curresty of www.merriam-webster.com

I was just about to do my 4-mile workout today when a few things were said within two phone calls and 30 minutes that started to upset me.  They weren't big issues, or anything that should change my otherwise-good day; however, I felt my emotions take rise and my spirits begin to fall.  

Though I wanted to cry for a minute, I didn't but just began my workout.  A family member asked me a question and I answered in the least-biting reply voice I could.  

As the workout intensified I began to notice my anger diffusing.  I no longer had the energy to be upset because I had to focus on keeping up with the workout.  Then I no longer had the desire to be angry.  It was as if the anger melted away to the realization that the two things that were upsetting me really weren't worth being upset about in the first place; one was someone else's opinion and the other was something that I can't change.  Finally I realized that this must be the chemical reaction in the brain to exercising.

You see, I've heard endorphins are flying through your body after a good workout, and that's why you feel so happy and ready to conquer the world when you're done.   Well, I may not understand the science of it all, but I was grateful for those endorphins today.  I felt better physically and emotionally after exercising and was able continue on with my good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment