"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Beck ... Week Five

Well, I'm five weeks into The Beck Diet Solution and this week has been a little different. Honestly, first of all, I have been pretty busy all week and I felt like I ran through each day's chapters rather quickly. There were truths in there that I had to really think about, but I didn't have the time to give them full attention. So, I have decided that I will be continuing to read and reference this book well past the next week and the technical "end" of the program. I will need to come back and take maybe a week or two to really implement some of the techniques.

Having said that this week was dealing with handling difficult food moments, such as:
  • Eating at a party or celebration. Will you eat whatever you want, or will you choose according to the plan you're following? I had this experience last weekend with two different birthday parties. The first one I ate according to plan. A light lunch and only one bite of a cupcake simply for the purpose of tasting my friend's new frosting recipe. It was perfect and I was very happy with my decision. Sunday I ate a little more at the party and then had the cake incident later that night. Not the best way to handle things, but Sundays are always a little different and I would've been fine with what I chose to eat at the party had I not eaten more cake and junk later that night.
  • Alcohol consumption. This was by far the easiest chapter for me...because I don't drink. :) At all. Never have, never will. I've cooked with wine once or twice, but that's it. It was nice to have a chapter that wasn't a huge challenge, for once. I can't imagine having to battle the love of brownies and an alcoholic beverage while losing weight. Oh, the calories....
  • Emotional Eating. This is something I was already on my way to dealing with, so it wasn't so hard for me to address it this week. My emotional eating problem is boredom and avoiding tasks. I am not a so-depressed-I-ate-a-half-gallon-of-ice-cream girl, more like I'm a so-happy-to-be-enjoying-the-food-and-friends type of girl. A happy eater, so since "happy" is also an emotion I fall in this category very well. I'm learning to either, step away from boredom by reading a book for a few minutes, or making myself get to my task, whether or not I want to instead of munching on food to avoid it. This is still a work in progress, and I have a feeling that it always will be.
So, there are a few things I reviewed and/or learned this week. As I said earlier, I am planning that as I finish up the book this next week I'm going to begin attacking one or two chapters per week in each week following, instead of per day. I think this will allow me to give more than one day to a topic that I might struggle with more than others. Then I can successfully get those new habits and ways of thinking some time to sink in for good. :)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Emotional eating - every time I think I have this whipped, I realize I still have to be diligent. Why can I not beat this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your weigh-in yesterday Leah! I think it's so smart to slow down and just really enjoy and take in what you are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hee hee I had to laugh at the alcohol, as we're not drinkers, either.
    I'm glad you are finding such helpful information for you - I think its propelling you to your success and I'm excited to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...or making myself get to my task, whether or not I want to instead of munching on food to avoid it. "

    I see myself in that. It is a work in progress, as you said.

    Your book reminds me to continue with the Roth book (I haven't read hardly anything recently).

    Good job on keeping focused through busy times.

    ReplyDelete