"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Nike Plus Adventure


Did you know that when you buy running shoes that are Nike Plus capable that you have to buy the little transmitter to put in your shoe?

I did not know this until last Friday night.

We have new military friends that just moved to town. He has run a marathon and she has gotten into running and ran her first 6 mile race this year. They eat healthy are quickly becoming good friends of ours here.

Being that he is so into running I asked him if he knew anything about Nike Plus. I got out my running shoes (that I bought two months ago) and my iPod touch and told him I couldn't get it to work.

He asked me if I bought the transmitter, chip thing to put in the shoe.

HUH?!?! What chip? Transmitter? No one told me about a chip or that I had to buy anything else besides the app to sync my shoes to the iPod touch. When I asked a kid at the Nike store about it he told me to "Call nike.com." (Yea, I kid you not...CALL a dot com...another story for another time...)

Anyway, back to the story.

"Um, yes", he replies as his wife is agreeing with him, "there should be a little chip, like a transmitter that goes in the sole of one of the shoes. Let's look."

Sure enough inside one of my shoes is the symbol for the Nike Plus and when I pull out the insole there is the compartment for the transmitter .... with nothing inside but a piece of foam to fill the hole.

LOTS OF LAUGHTER HERE!!!!! :D

I reminded him I am a blonde and had no clue.

The funniest part of this is that when I got the shoes I downloaded the app onto my iPod and then proceeded to spend an evening hopping around the dining room, jogging around the house and more trying to get my iPod to sync with the shoes, but the iPod kept saying that it could not locate the Nike Plus. I would hop and try and hold my iPod close to the shoe to help it pick up a signal. Finally I gave up and haven't given it much thought since then.

Um, remember that song "Here's Your Sign" ? Well, that's how I felt last Friday night as we all had a good laugh at my Nike Plus mishap. So, go ahead and laugh...I sure did and am still giggling as I type. :)

I'm not sure if I'm going to go get the Nike Plus transmitter, but at least I know now that mine isn't broken. LOL

Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. How much were the shoes and the ipod? I've thought about buying it, but not sure if I want to buy it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this before! (I don't think it's a blonde-thing; I think it's technology-moving-too-fast-for-the-brain thing).

    You know, as I was reading your post, I was pretending I was Laura Ingalls (or someone of her time) "listening" in on this conversation:

    "The funniest part of this is that when I got the shoes I downloaded the app onto my iPod and then proceeded to spend an evening hopping around the dining room, jogging around the house and more trying to get my iPod to sync with the shoes..."

    Can you imagine the bewilderment for someone from any other century?

    Fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like something I would do! LOL At least you got a good laugh out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny!

    Don't you just love customer service nowadays?
    "Call Nike.com", hum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! I've been there, believe me. Do you remember my "Have you ever been fit before?" story? It's good we can laugh at ourselves!

    ReplyDelete