"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, September 10, 2010

Weigh In - Beck Diet Solution Week 4

Today's Weight: 197.0
Loss/Gain: -1.0 lbs
Total Loss So Far: -34.0 lbs

I'm happy with being down one pound considering I didn't give it my all every day this week. It puts me back where I was two weeks ago, so that's kind of a bummer, but I will press forward and it will come off eventually. At least it's no longer 200.0!! :)

This past week with Dr. Beck has really got me thinking. It was a week of dealing with sabotaging thoughts and how to combat them. There was a lot of journaling and writing that I haven't had time to do to the full extent. I have read my daily chapters, and made response and reminder cards as needed, but there's a journaling project to do that I need to start a.s.a.p. so I don't fall behind.

The concept is to write in a diet journal what you are thinking every time you want to eat something you shouldn't, or overeat, etc. Those are the sabotaging thoughts that you have. For example, without even writing them down I know some of mine are:
  • It's just one bite.
  • It doesn't really matter.
  • The food's there and I'm so drawn to it...oh what the heck.
  • I'm not hungry, but I have room for this in my calorie budget today.
  • I know I shouldn't, but I don't really care right this moment.
  • I'll make it up by eating lighter the rest of the day.
Ever had thoughts like these?

Well, the point of writing them in the journal is to later sit down and take time to figure out how to handle those thoughts, how to set up a plan to stop yourself from giving in to them. She shares a process for this, so you're not left figuring it all out on your own.

It sounds time consuming, but I think this is something I'm really going to set time aside to do. I do not have a problem knowing if I'm truly hungry. My problem is usually telling myself no when I know I really don't need the food. Yes, I admit it. I often eat, and overeat at a meal, even when I know I'm not/no longer hungry. I've learned that eating when not hungry, even if you have the calorie room for it, is still wrong, but that's another subject for another day.

So, I think I'm going to leave my little journal on the counter and every time I want to eat when not hungry I'm going to jot down what I'm feeling at that moment. I won't analyze it then, but just observe what I'm thinking. Then I can sit later and figure out what needs to change in my thinking to battle these non-hunger moments of desire for food.

I'll let you know how I do with this over the next week. In the meantime, I need to get myself to the gym and get on with a busy day ahead.

Have a good weekend blog friends and thanks for checking in. I'm still here, still working on my weight loss goals and still pressing on that I will reach my goal someday.

Happy Friday to you! :o)

6 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks for checking in on me. You are such a great friend!

    Second of all, I LOVE this post. I can so totally relate! I just might have to check into this book myself. I look forward to reading about what you discover over the next weeks as you follow the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...this may be a "sign" as I was just having this journaling thought on my drive home. I say those sabotaging thoughts all the time. I was thinking...can I do a blog and a journal??? But, sometimes it helps to keep track of food and feelings.

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "I know I shouldn't, but I don't really care right this moment" one is one that I've had a lot, and it's usually when I'm craving sugar or junk food!
    Hope you have a good weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The diet journal is an interesting idea. I wonder if forcing myself just to think these things out when I want to eat, but I am not hungry would do the same thing?

    ReplyDelete