"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Make It A Priority

Yesterday, as I was running some errands during my lunch break from school I realized that though I'd been on the go a lot lately I wasn't exhausted. I know this is mainly due to my change in health - eating better and getting regular exercise - and I'm so grateful.

It's another one of those benefits that makes all the effort worth it.

I have to add that getting my rest is vitally important as well, though it's something I struggle to get enough of. Each person requires different amounts of sleep and I am an 7-8-hours-a-night girl. When I take the time to get to bed, or am willing to put off some things to get to bed on time, I feel so much better in the days that follow. When I don't get my rest I feel like I'm dragging and not like the healthy, vibrant person I want to be.

So, today I'd like to encourage you to make your health a priority by following some basic rules that are becoming more and more cemented in my life:
  • Taking care of what and how much you are eating. Track your calories or food choices for a while if you aren't sure where you're going wrong. It will help, I promise.
  • Get some exercise in each week. I don't workout six days a week, but I do try and get a good, solid, 30 minute, sweaty workout in at least 3-4 days a week, more if possible.
  • Drink that water. Yes, I added this one for free. :) It will help you be in top shape for your workouts...trust me. (I'll write about my dehydrated workout later.)
  • And get that rest. Your health is important. Getting an appropriate amount of rest is vital to your health. If you only need six hours to make it through a day, then that's fine. We are all different, but that doesn't mean we don't all need rest.
Believe me, I understand the duties of wife, mother, working woman and the fun of hobbies too, but something I've really come to learn is that when I take care of the few basic guidelines I've outlined above I'm in better shape to handle all my duties and even my "play" time.

I'm not at all into the whole "me time" mentality that many people have. You know, that attitude that gets abused so that everything and everyone has to cater to the person lacking their "me time". However, if life takes all my time and I no longer have time to worry about my health, then everything I apply myself to will suffer the consequences.

I have to make my health a priority in my life. By doing so I will be able to continue enjoying full days that do not zap me of my energy. How about you?

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Leah! I agree with all that you said. I will heed your words. I could work on #1 and #4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having time to make health a priority is like putting the airplane's oxygen mask first on yourself then on those you are helping. Everyone benefits.

    Getting enough sleep is challenging for me, but I completely agree with you that the days are just better all around with rest.

    Now, if we can only convince the FAA and airline industry to allow pilots to get decent sleep and maintain the circadian rhythms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I definitely need my 7-8 hours of sleep a night, too. If I don't get it I feel like a zombie all the next day. I'm usually falling asleep on the couch around 9:00, but I get up at 5:00. Love my 8 hours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great tips. If you don't have your health, then everything else suffers. It's just so important to know and believe.

    ReplyDelete