"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why I'm Doing Beck Diet Solution

I'm 20 days into reading, and following, the book The Beck Diet Solution. Today I was reminded why I am doing this six-week program as I read over some reminder notecards I've been writing along the journey.

It had to do with why I should sit down to eat. The helpful response to tell myself when I don't want to sit down and eat was:
"Get used to it! Your way hasn't been working. You need to realize that some habits need to change if you want to reach your goals."

That's about it in a nutshell. My way wasn't working the greatest and I knew I needed something to help me get on track as I recommitted to my weight loss journey.

I came across this book at Barnes & Noble, and having heard of it before, I flipped through the book for about twenty minutes to see if it would be worth my time to read. I saw my own struggles and thoughts on the pages and really felt this was the tool I needed to get with the program and start losing weight again.

It hasn't been easy, but I'm slowly but surely finding myself making better choices and enjoying it. Many of the topics are not new to me, but they are spoken of in a straightforward manner that I appreciate. I am also offered suggestions each day on how to combat the "sabotaging thoughts" that come along during the journey.

When I started this book I committed myself to doing whatever was suggested for each day. There is only one suggestion I'm not following exactly as laid out, otherwise I've kept with following the program every day. I've only had two days (this past Fri and Sat) that I didn't read my daily chapters, but boy I sure caught up on them on Sunday. I couldn't go any further like that and I decided Sunday that I would not skip another day if it was at all within my control.

Reading The Beck Diet Solution daily and following the prompts is helping me to stay focused on my weight loss journey. It's taking up my blog time on some days, but for now that is worth it to me. I look forward to all I will continue to learn through this book, because...well, my way didn't work so well most days, so why not give it a try, right? :)

5 comments:

  1. I think the book is quite good. The only thing I did not do. Okay, it was 2 things... The put extra food on your plate one night. And the other was skipping lunch. I didn't do that for blood sugar reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you SO much for the comment you left me. I appreciate your vote of confidence. I liked the "lecture" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that this is helping you recommit yourself to getting healthy and maintaining that level. We all know it's soooo hard some days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you a blog award! Check out my blog for the details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Leah! I've catching up on your posts and so happy you are doing so well for yourself. I've been reading, but I'm sorry it's been a while since I've commented.

    I really liked what you wrote in red, especially the "Get used to it" part.

    ReplyDelete