"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Emotional Eating Lesson

When I read "are you an emotional eater? I usually feel like, "No, I don't...except for the emotion of happiness. I love to eat to celebrate or when visiting with friends, etc."

Today I realized that I do indeed eat as an emotional eater sometimes. I was upset about a situation and suddenly had no motivation to take the time to cook anything healthy to eat. So, I ate a hot pocket and Pringles for lunch finishing up with two homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I wasn't overly stuffed, but I knew that wasn't what I needed to eat.

It wasn't until a little while later that I realized I had eaten that junk because I was upset. Wow. I know I should've stuck with my better eating (I had hummus, salad fixins, fruit and enough healthier eats to pick from.), but I took the lazy way out.

This is something I'm going to have to work on..making myself stick to my healthier eating even when I don't feel like making it. Thankfully, later my situation was rectified and I did much better at dinner.

When you're working on weight loss as long as I have been you think you won't learn anything you didn't already know, but today I learned something new about myself. This is definitely why it's a lifelong journey and not just a temporary fix.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree. It's a lifelong journey! Good for you for making a good dinner though!! Something I am learning as well about myself! It's tough, but were all here together for each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to get back on track!! I probably would have said "the heck with it" and ate crappy the rest of the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard. I tend to eat in times of stress. We all have different coping mechanisms and some of us turn to food. Even when you retrain yourself, those habits never really go away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think learning is really one of the keys because it enables us to get better and repeat our mistakes less often!

    It's great that you were conscious of it, finally. It's funny how we can do things unconsciously for a while and then *bam* we see it. Good for you! That is an awesome breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete