"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Living In The Present

Today is my son's 9th birthday. I always remember hour-by-hour what I was doing on the day he was born. It can bring lovely feelings and happy thoughts, but if I'm not careful reminiscing can bring sad thoughts too. I can begin to wonder where the time has gone, where is that little baby that brought such joy to a father who had only girls before his birth? Where's the little tot who brought smiles to everyone's faces? Where's the little kid who amazed us all at his first t-ball game with his fast running and intense looks of concentration?

That's when I have to stop myself and be glad for the memories, but remember that life isn't over. I can enjoy the good memories, but I have to make sure that I'm enjoying who this little man is today. I have to make sure that I don't live too much in the past that I can't enjoy what is going on today.

In a way this is like my weight loss journey. Except not only do I have to make sure I don't revel in past failures, "could've beens" and such, but I also have to make sure I'm not living for the future only and what it will be like "when I'm thin". I can't ponder what I'll look like, what activities I'll do and how much better I'll feel to the extent that I can't enjoy where I'm at now.

I do look forward to being thinner, and for the first time in my life I feel like I truly will be there someday, but just like with the memories of son, I can't let myself miss what is happening now because I keep focusing on another time.

Instead I will enjoy today. I will enjoy the victories I'm having. I will enjoy knowing that the weight is coming off and slowly, but surely I am going to become the healthier, happier mommy and wife I want to be.

Oh, and yes, I will also enjoy my son for who he is each day!

Now, I'm off to make a birthday cake to look like a soccer field. Wish me luck! :)

2 comments:

  1. YES!! Yes to never giving up and also to celebrating each and every moment.

    My son will be nine on Monday! We are celebrating his birthday tomorrow afternoon after church. He is having a spiderman party, so I'm doing a cake with a web on it.

    Congratulations on the loss! You will be in the single digits soon! Won't that be exciting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to not live in the past or day dream about the future-- I tend to do that a lot. Thinking about the mistakes I've made in the past, and then having the "wishful thinking" of being thin and looking the way I want. I try to focus on the "today" looking at what I've accomplished and being thankful for what I have. But there are days when I look in the mirror, and it is still hard to appreciate my successes. Hope he has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete