"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Facing the Giant Inside Me

My husband bought the movie "Facing the Giants" and we watched it Sunday afternoon with our children.   During the movie the father of the young soccer player who tries out for the football team, the one in the wheelchair, tells his son, "Your actions will always follow your beliefs."  His son thought he'd be a loser in football and was giving up on himself without even trying.  

I was a bit floored when I realized that is so true in many aspects of life.  Of course, because of the current weightloss journey I'm on that is the area of my life that it spoke to most.  

For years I've been the fat girl who always jokes about her weight.  I've said many, many times, "I'm just saying what everyone's thinking." and then laughed right along with everyone else about it.  My mom has always told me I should quit it, but I don't.  

It's safer for me to joke about it than let someone else joke about it and hurt my feelings.  However, this action has probably in some way stopped me from ever attaining my goals...because I've already in my heart seen myself as always being the fat girl unable of total change.

Well, that needs to change.  As I heard that quote I realized that I need to change my thinking about my abilities and shortcomings, so that my actions will truly follow what I believe about myself.  

Don't get me wrong.  I don't plan on "believing" my way to weight loss.  I know that the Bible says in James 2:20 "...faith without works is dead".   But I can face the giant of fear of failure to lose weight and keep it off, give it to God and then allow my mind to think better of myself, so that as I begin to workout harder and make some smarter eating decisions I will see myself attain my goal.

Again I say, I can do this and I will do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment