"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Back In The Saddle, er, Nikes

Short Story: I am going to begin running again, and I have new shoes to prove it.

Long Story: After jogging my first 5K in April I began having pretty bad hip trouble when I would jog, so I quit. I've done other workouts, but nothing that involved running. It came to the point that I had decided about a month ago I would give up jogging for the summer for sure and maybe until I reached a lower weight, maybe 170. Then I would reward myself with new running shoes and try running again.

Then I went to the park one evening for a brisk walk for exercise.

There is something about watching people jog, walk briskly and finding myself walking very quickly easier than ever before that just pushes me to , well.... run, well jog in my case. :) I couldn't help it. Both nights last week that I went to walk in the park I told my kids I wasn't going to run, but I found myself doing some walk/jog intervals around the walking path because I couldn't stand it.

My hip didn't hurt, but I also was very careful to not overdo it. I told my husband after the second evening of doing this that I was thinking I'd like to run again. I hinted and suggested that it would probably be best if I got new shoes. He told me to wait until we could afford it and I was patient to do so.

Well, last Friday finances came in that made it possible for me to get new tennis and he promised to take me Monday to get them. (yes, I didn't have to wait long..whee!!) I'll be posting about that experience later. I left the running store on Monday with a brand new pair of Nike Zoom Structure Triax+ 13 shoes. Mine are gray and white with light blue, for those that are curious. :)

Today I used my new tennis to do run/walk intervals on the treadmill at the gym. They felt good and so far my body does as well. Stay tuned for more about how excited I am to get back into running!!

6 comments:

  1. Love getting new shoes!!! I can't wait to hear about the running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to running! I am excited for you and your new running shoes. I totally agree that when you see others running it makes you want to run. I wish we lived near eachother so we could run together and inspire one another in person. Thank you for inspiring me via the worldwide web. I'll be watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I love new shoes.
    Hope it goes well for you....running I am finding is addictive...like I head out for a walk and it just isn't enough, I have to start running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got your new shoes! I think having the right shoes makes the TOTAL difference! I gave up running when the weather started getting hot and muggy...but I find myself yerning to start jogging again! Funny how once you start, it just pumps through your veins when you see others out jogging lol. Can't wait to read about your shoe shopping experience:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new shoes! Congrats on no hip pain!!!

    ReplyDelete