"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One Batch Is Enough


My daughter made cookies today. She is learning to bake on her own so she made a single batch.

I can't remember the last time I only made a single batch of cookies. I've ALWAYS doubled the recipes, and would triple or quadruple them if we planned on sharing with anyone outside of the family.

As small as the batch looked - finishing up with 24 cookies cooling on two racks - I realized I was really okay with that little batch. That's plenty for us. We'll have a nice little home baked treat to last a couple of days and that will be all we need for now.

This, my friends, is when you know things are really changing deep down inside. It's a good sign when the overriding feelings in this situation are contentment and enjoyment instead of sadness and greed.

It's a non-scale victory to be sure and I'm so pleased with this progress.
p.s. This was her third attempt and they came out perfect. I shared a small one with her to make sure. :)

3 comments:

  1. Those cookies look delicious! I love that she is expressing an interest in cooking and sharing it with you. I think that just one batch of cookies is a perfect amount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look Yummy!
    You have a great focus....when I bake it is always large quanities also and then the stupid things call for me from the freezer....I don't bake much lately! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes! I remember those days in the past of making cookies..it meant baking like 48 of them and eating at least 4 right out of the oven lol!
    Your cookies look so yummy!
    One thing I have found to work (because my family was feeling deprived not getting homebaked cookies just because I couldn't stop at just one) is that I make a HUGE batch (I use an amish recipe). I then use a small melon baller to scoop them all on a huge cookie tray. I freeze them for a few hours and then put 8 cookie balls to a freezer bag and freeze them all. Then whenever someone wants fresh baked cookies, we bake the 8 and everyone get's 2 cookies each.
    It's so great that you are at that point were you can share one with your daughters and no when to stop. You are teaching them a great message that it's ok to indulge once in a while in quantity. And you have add a great memory for them helping them bake:)

    ReplyDelete