"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Other Side of The Scale

I weigh myself daily. Ninety nine percent of the time I'm okay with whatever number shows up. Higher numbers don't depress me anymore. If the number is up I'm simply reminded to be careful about my choices. However, there is an emotion I do have to be wary of when that number is down. It's the happy feeling.

Yes, happiness on seeing a smaller number on the scale can be detrimental to my weight loss journey at times. You see, when I see a lower number I get excited, I think I'm doing so good and then for some unknown reason I allow myself a little more food that day.

It's sad, but true and as I write I am shaking my head with a sheepish smile on my face. It really is dumb thinking seeing as how I have about sixty pounds left to lose. To think that one good day means I get a treat?

This is actually a new observation for me. When I realized I do this I had a light bulb moment - Aha! Maybe if I see a lower number and just keep doing what I'm doing I'll see another smaller number tomorrow? (Go ahead, laugh, I am...)

I guess it's kind of like not letting myself have a free for all after I weigh in on Fridays, and instead staying focused through the weekends. I know. Amazing that when I began to be careful through the weekends the loss I saw on Friday was still there on Monday.

So, now you know one more thing I'm learning about myself in this journey. I'm getting it, s l o w l y but surely, and I'm finding all the pieces that will make up my wonderful new ending!

4 comments:

  1. Here's a similar version of that same story. Whenever I successfully navigate what I expected to be a major challenge like a restaurant dinner, a party, a cookout, etc., why is it that I get home and either that evening or the next day eat everything I can find?? Doing this is a trend I've discovered in myself and I don't like it, but haven't yet figured out what's REALLY happening. Maybe its that underlying feeling that we don't deserve to be successful. Who knows, but your post reminded me that I do the same thing, just in a slightly different way.

    BTW, Happy Birthday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I do the same thing! I feel like if I see a lower number I "deserve" to treat myself. The next day after I reflect on what I did, I get so upset with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that funny? I remember WW meetings eons ago and people would go out to eat after the meetings. If the weigh in was good, then people indulged at lunch. If the weigh in was bad, then people stuck to the program like glue. Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely not alone with that one! I did the same thing over and over. Good you realized it - that's half the battle.

    ReplyDelete