"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Friday, July 30, 2010

Changes in Progress

I told you some changes were coming and here they are. As I said before I've been talking to my husband lately about eating better and I finally got the courage to ask him the other day if he would mind if I made some serious changes to the way our family eats. I gave him examples of using whole wheat pastas and bread, trying to get rid of chips except on occasion, etc. He told me that was fine with him as long as I didn't go extreme.

This is the first time my husband has ever been really open to eating healthier in the almost 15 years we've been married. Funny thing is I expected more of a conversation on the matter and then a discussion of how we'd talk to the kids about it.

All he replied was the above about not becoming extreme, and "They [the kids] can just eat it. If they don't like it..oh well." And that was that. :)

So, to start some of the changes when I went grocery shopping this week I purchased some out-of-our-old-normal foods:


Then yesterday and today I did a complete clean up of the pantry. I tossed white pastas and threw out old boxed stuff that no one ever finished. There is still popcorn in there for him and the kids, and maybe occasionally for me, and there are some cereals and baking items, but I cleaned it up and got things back in order. I am going to try and keep less boxed snacks and canned items in the house and instead keep on hand more fresh foods for everyone.

Everything I cleaned out of the pantry went into that bag hanging on the door, and then directly to the trash. This is one of those little changes that really is a BIG change in my eating life. I'm even having to learn how to recook some items. If you're wondering why I didn't do this sooner I'll be posting about that later. :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, the feeling after doing some cleaning house so to speak is so refreshing. That is a big step for your husband to be on board with you so easily.

    I love that you have a pantry....I would love one...I am a tiny bit jealous...lol!

    ReplyDelete